Skip to main content

Dumpster Diving


Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (I Peter 5:7) 

            In my office, there's a sketch of Jesus hugging a lamb. I didn't buy the sketch because I believed the artist got His facial features right. I bought it because it reminds me that Jesus loves me. My natural inclination is to think that God sees me the way I see me, which tends to be as a failure.  I need reminders that He cares for me, especially when things aren't going the way I want. When things aren't going the way I want is when I tend to be anxious.
           Caring seems to involve two main ideas. One is the provision of what is necessary. I tend to want that part to include what I want, not just what I need. The second is to do the right thing in the right way at the right time. I tend to want that part to include what is convenient to me. 
       I'm reminded of the time that Jesus fell asleep in the stern of a boat and a storm came up. The disciples woke him and asked him to save them. I can imagine their feelings. They were in the middle of a storm. Things were getting pretty difficult, and Jesus was sleeping. Sleeping! Then there's the time that Jesus was told that Lazarus was sick, and He deliberately did not go until His arrival was four days too late. "If you had been here," both Martha and Mary admonished. There's also the time a gentile woman went to him because her daughter was possessed. He ignored her until she trespassed on someone else's property, effectively refusing her request several times and even insulting her. Over and over, the question people ask about Jesus and His Father when things aren't going the way they want is, "Doesn't He care?"
            The reality is that it is because He cares that these things happen. They are part of His caring. Among the things that these things teach us is the permanence of God's caring. Just as children have to learn that people exist even if they can't be seen or heard, so we need to learn that God and His love for us continue to exist even if they can't be seen or hear.
            Some years ago, I read a book that described the psychological responses made possible by the experience of love, by knowing and believing that someone cares. As I read, it occurred to me: He's describing joy. Joy is the response to caring. I have since discovered that I experience joy as a response to someone caring for me, but also as a response to my caring for someone else. A friend has shared a video that touches on this theme. (Link to Ron Franklin's video)
         The other key point in today's passage is that we can only hold on to one thing at time. We can either hold on to our anxiety over our circumstances, or we can hold on to joy. Too often, we try to hold in to both. In order to experience joy, we have to let go of anxiety, and as long as it is nearby, we're likely to pick anxiety back up. The only way to have joy is to throw our anxiety away. I don't know about you, but I'm far too likely to dumpster dive after that anxiety. The only solution is to cast that anxiety to someone who will haul away the trash to a garbage dump where it can be burned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t