Skip to main content

The Four Point Four Percent


But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.  (II Peter 2:1-3) 

          The other day I saw something on Facebook about why there are crackpots that associate themselves with a respectable group of people. Of course, if you pick any respectable group of people, there will be those who say that they are not respectable, that the whole group is nothing but crackpots and lunatics, but I don't believe that's true.  Statistically speaking, 68.2% of people fit into what might be considered the norm. Yes, they're "normal." Another 27.2% fall within the next bracket. Pareto said that 20% of the people do 80% of the work. Very likely, that 20% comes from the 27.2% bracket. I'm tentatively going to call them leaders. Of the remaining, 4.2% fall into a third  category, and 0.2 into a fourth, each more extreme than the category before it. 
         With those statistics in mind, here's another consideration. The more influential or inspiring, the  more powerful or active, or the more well-known a group is, the more likely it is to attract people who are seeking power, significance, inspiration, purpose, riches or fame.
          What does this mean for us? It means that of course there are going to be lunatics and crackpots claiming Christianity, Islam, Atheism, Liberalism, Conservatism, and any other -ism you can think of. There will be crackpots and lunatics among guns rights advocates, civil rights (or civil privilege) advocates (including BLM and the various LGBT groups), ecological advocates, Pro-Life or Pro-Abortion advocates, and any other rights advocates you may think of. It's easy to identify any group based on the third and fourth categories, or even based on the more extreme of the "Leaders," but the vast majority of any group is made of people you would probably consider fairly normal, or "fairly normal except that one little eccentricity."
          Peter warned us of the third and fourth category folks. He told us there would be false prophets and false teachers. The first thing we need to do is to know what the group in question really, really, really stands for, so that we can tell when someone is not really part of it. The next thing we need to do is to figure out what to do about those who aren't part of us but who are likely to be seen as our spokesperson. We must expect such people to exist, but I know I haven't been cautious enough about attributing to a whole group the characteristics of the crackpots and lunatics.
         Peter says that many will follow false teachers and their made up stories, but their destruction will be swift. As I think back, it seems to me that there are quite a few stories of "big names" who seemed to be on top of the world, whose careers, ministries or lives came crashing down around them because they lived at the extremes...they were part of that 4.4%. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On The Calendar:
Constitution Day
In The Sky:
Harvest Moon (Moonrise 7:37 EST in Erie, PA)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t