Skip to main content

Solid Evidence


And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit (2 Peter 1:19-21)  

“Know and understand this: From the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven ‘sevens,’ and sixty-two ‘sevens.’ It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble. After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ the Anointed One will be cut off and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed. He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on a wing of the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.  (Daniel 9:25-27) 

            One of the things that characterized the Jewish Scripture was prophecy. God told the nation of Israel what was going to happen before it happened as proof of Himself. These prophecies often included details that were outside of the control of men. One source claims there almost as many prophecies about Jesus as there are days in the year: (353 Prophecies About Christ). Today, we're focusing on three in the briefest possible manner. References you may want to explore will be provided in a footnote.[1] 
            According to Daniel, 483 years would pass between the proclamation by Artaxerxes and the time when the Anointed One would be cut off. This would take place before the city and sanctuary were destroyed. That proclamation was made about 453 BC. Some of the research I have read about this is more specific about this date but there is more than one theory so I'm being a little vague in order to accommodate them all. These prophecies then required that the Anointed One be cut off about AD 30. 
            The current research places the birth of Jesus in 4BC, which means that when he began his ministry at age 30, it would have been about 26 AD (there is no "Year 0") and the crucifixion happened about three and a half years later: 30 AD. The city of Jerusalem and the Temple were destroyed by the order of a Roman ruler and carried out by Roman soldiers in 70 AD. That puts the time between the cutting off of the Anointed One and the destruction of the Temple at forty years. 
           The destruction of the Temple had not happened when Peter was writing this letter, but the Jews had access to the prophecies about the Messiah. Those prophecies pointed to Jesus and his crucifixion and resurrection fulfilled, or made more sure, the prophecies. It makes clear and provides strong reason for our faith.
       There are some who give other supposed examples of virgin births, deaths and resurrections, to try to make this particular instance just one of many and just a literary type, but they tend to focus on people who don't fit this timeline, if they can be placed historically at all. Your faith can be supported by history, and because that history was foretold, it is founded on good evidence for God


[1] Jones, Dr. Floyd Nolen, The Chronology of the Old Testament (Floyd Jones Ministries, Inc., 1993)
http://theos-sphragis.info/artaxerxes_timeline.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t