Skip to main content

Recall the Words...and the Command


Dear friends, this is now my second letter to you. I have written both of them as reminders to stimulate you to wholesome thinking. I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior through your apostles. (2 Peter 3:1-2)
         According to my study Bible's notes, this is supposed to refer to the Day of the Lord spoken of by the prophets. It's probably right, but what comes to my mind is that the Law and the Prophets, and Jesus' "greatest command" was to love the Lord with all our hearts, souls, minds and strengths and to love our neighbors as ourselves. Yes, we're back to that again. Obeying that commandment is likely to become more difficult as the Day of the Lord approaches, because the people we're commanded to love may suffer greatly and even if we don't suffer ourselves, we'll suffer with them; or the people we're commanded to love may be responsible for our suffering.
         The command to love God and love our neighbors is a constant theme in Scripture. One of the benefits of listening to the Bible on CD, especially on a long trip like Pennsylvania to Florida is that you hear phrases and ideas repeated in a comparatively short time. The first command to love the Lord is in Deuteronomy 5.  It is connected with obeying God in Deuteronomy 11:1 13 and 22 and 19:9, then again in 30:16 and 20. Joshua 22:5 and 23:11 mention it.  So does Psalm 31:23. Psalm 97:10 associates loving God with hating evil. Of course, Matthew 22:37-40 and Mark 12:30-31are the gospel account in which Jesus brings together loving God and loving one's neighbor.  In John 14, Jesus talks about the disciples loving Him by obeying Him. Jesus asked Peter three times if Peter loved Him.
         In addition to the passages in Matthew and Mark in which Jesus puts the ideas together, you can't read anything by John (except perhaps Revelation) in which loving others is not discussed. Matthew 5:44 and Luke 6:27 and 35 are all commands to love our enemies.  In Romans 13:8, Paul commanded us to love one another, and of course, I Corinthians 13:4-8 is a well-considered description of love.  Peter commanded us to love one another in   I Peter 1:22, and James does so in  James 2:8. The idea is first mentioned in Leviticus 19:18. 
        Many years ago, I heard that if God mentions something once, you need to pay attention. If He mentions it twice, you really need to take notice. If He mentions it more than twice.... I guess the obvious conclusion is that this is vitally important to God, but then, as John put it, God is love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t