Skip to main content

Messiah Wars, Round One


                So the LORD God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this, “Cursed are you above all the livestock and all the wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life. And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.” (Genesis 3:14-15)

      There are people who point to certain mythological figures: Mithras, Dionysus (Bacchus), Attis, Osiris, Horus, Tammuz, Adonis, Persephone and Orpheus as parallels to Jesus based on these commonalities: 
*   death and resurrection around our Easter;
*   virgin birth around 25 December;
*   association with the seasons and the vegetation cycle (fertility gods);
*    called "son of God" and/or a god in human form, who performed miracles
*    ritual celebration of their death;
*    the offer of salvation to a small community of initiates.[1]  
       These similarities lead some to claim there is nothing unique about Jesus' claims. The first thing I notice is that nowhere in the list of contenders do I see it mentioned that any of these others were fulfillments of prophecy. Since I have been writing about prophecies and their fulfillment, I thought it might be interesting to look at some of the prophecies about the Messiah. Let's test their claim of similarity, starting with what I believe is the first messianic prophecy in Scripture, today's passage.
         The first thing of note is to whom this prophecy was given. When God's court convened because of Adam's sin, Adam, Eve and the serpent were all there, but it is to the serpent that God speaks the first prophecy about the Messiah. What God tells the devil is that 1) Eve's offspring (also translated seed) would crush the devil's head. 2) The best that the devil would do would be to bruise the Messiah's heel, and 3) Said offspring would be a singular: and he(or that) will crush your head and the term offspring or seed is singular. 
         While some may argue that offspring/seed can refer to a collection or group, the issue that cannot be argued away is that the Messiah had to be the offspring of a woman. Mithras was born of Anahita, a Hindu goddess. Dionysus (Bacchus) was said to be the son of Zeus and Semele, princess of Thebes.  Attis, was the son of either Cybelle or Nana, both of whom were goddesses. Osiris was supposedly born of Nut and Geb, both of whom were Egyptian gods. Horus was the son of Osiris and Isis, both of whom were Egyptian gods. Tammuz's mother was the goddess Duttur, was a personification of the ewe. Adonis' mother was Smyrna, daughter of Theias, king of Assyria. She tricked her father into impregnating her.  Persephone was the daughter of Zeus and the harvest goddess, Demeter. Orpheus' mother was either the muse, Calliope or the daughter of Pierus, son of Makednos.
      Given this first prophecy about the Messiah, that He would be a descendant of Eve, the only remaining contenders for Messiah from the list above are Jesus, Dionysus/Bacchus, Adonis and possibly Orpheus. Tomorrow, we'll continue the Messiah Wars.[2]





[1] http://www.is-there-a-god.info/belief/pagangods/


[2] Please note, I'm not in any actual doubt about the outcome of this series of battles, I am simply arguing the case using logic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...