Skip to main content

Wolves in Sheeps's Clothing





Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. (Jude 1:3-6)

            I'm going to take a brief break in the discussion of prophecy. Closer to Easter, I'll touch on it some more. A few items have come to my attention that make this passage a good one to consider. The first item is the ongoing excuse people use that they don't like to go to church because the church is full of hypocrites. First, I happen to think that is precisely where hypocrites should be, so that they can learn the error of their ways. They certainly won't learn integrity from the world. That being said, Jude warned us a long time ago that people would sneak into the church. They will misuse God's grace and they will deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. So, yes, there are hypocrites in the church, and departing from the church is precisely what the Devil wants to use them to cause you to do. It hurts you, it hurts the Church and it hurts God.
        The other item was a video in which a pastor of a church that is hemorrhaging members in which said pastor says "Who cares what the Bible says?" This is another of the sorts of wolves in sheep's clothing. I misplaced the meme before I could respond to it, but my question then and now is, "How do you determine which parts of the Bible are God's Word and inviolate, and which can be thrown out to suit your purposes?"
        Now, I know that no one applies Scripture perfectly. Some people would suggest that my eating pork is a violation of Scripture. To them, I would say that the Council at Jerusalem in Acts 15 makes it clear that Gentile Christians are not bound by Mosaic ceremonial cleanliness laws. There are others who might make the charge that my not wearing a head covering to show submission or respect is a violation. I would agree with them if my wearing of a veil or hat were understood to show submission or respect. In today's society, it would not communicate those things. I still endeavor to show respect and submission by wearing clothing that covers those portions of the body that in our disrespectful culture tends to uncover. I make sure the top and bottoms of my tops and bottoms are high and low enough to cover those parts of my body that need to be covered for decency and respect. Those things are not quite the same as saying that what the Bible says doesn't matter or as saying that what both the Old and New Testament specifically state as sinful isn't.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...