Skip to main content

Blessed


All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God:  You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country. The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks. Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed. You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out. (Deuteronomy 28:2)

          I am so blessed. I can’t say that the blessings I’ve been given are quite what is listed above. Being blessed is just what came to mind as I looked out the living room window and saw European Starlings. I’m not blessed because I have this imported species snacking on bread in my neighbor’s front yard. I felt blessed because I know what they are. I’ve also seen Grackles, Crows, House Sparrows, Robins, a Northern Flicker, and a Red-Bellied Woodpecker – and possibly a Downy Woodpecker – today. It may seem silly to think that being able to identify birds is a blessing, but I feel blessed.
          Some people think about blessing as financial or material wealth. Others think of blessing in terms of talents and skills. Some think in terms of family and friends. A few think in terms of beauty. The things I seem to treasure most, and the things that are blessings to me seem to deal more with experience and knowledge. My computers and my camera, they’re blessing-catchers. They let me record and share my blessings, whether they are pieces of truth, or pieces of beauty, or pieces of laughter, or pieces of sorrow.
          Not all of my blessings sound like blessings. I get no paycheck for the work that I’m doing right now, but the freedom I have is a blessing. Some family members were in a car accident in which their car was totaled. They only received minor injuries. That's a blessing. Above all else, I’m blessed with a God who isn’t like other gods. I’m not sure that that’s the highest praise that can be given to Him, but if He were like them, I don’t think I’d be blessed at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...