Skip to main content

Facing Battles


Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)

          I have some friends, and some friends of friends, who need this word right now. Truth told, I need this word right now, and at least every other second of every day, even when life isn’t especially hard. But I have some friends, and friends of friends, for whom life is hard right now.
          Joshua had been anointed as leader of the Israelites. They had mourned Moses and it was time to cross the Jordan and begin to take the Promised Land. The people had told him to be strong and courageous. Now God has commanded him to be strong and courageous. He had five Canaanite nations to destroy but more importantly, he had to build Israel at the same time. Israel, the nation that built an idol and an altar at the foot of Mt. Sinai while God was in the cloud at the top of Mt. Sinai talking to Moses. Israel who rebelled at the slightest provocation. Admittedly, the current Israelite army hadn’t grown up in Egypt, they couldn’t look back with nostalgia. Nostalgia for slavery? Well, the devil you know is less frightening than the devil you don’t.
          Joshua had led Israel in war, and in victory before. He already had the promise of God that they would dwell in the land, but he’d seen those closest to Moses: Aaron and Miriam, turn on him. More than once. So even with that promise, Joshua was at least tempted to be afraid. He had good reasons to be afraid. So do my friends and friends of friends. They are facing challenges in which even those closest may disappoint, fail, turn away, or even attack. They are facing battles, facing pain. They may have no illusions, but it may be even worse than they have imagined. Have I painted a dark enough picture of what they could face? It may seem darker yet to them as they face the battle. 
          But it is in these dark hours when God says, “Be strong and courageous.” This is when He says, “The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” It is as they stare across the river of time that separates them from battle after battle that God says, “Do not be terrified. Do not be discouraged.” Why? Because God is able.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t