Skip to main content

Do Not Love The World


 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever (I John 2:15-17)
 
You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. (James 4:4)
 
Harsh language. Tough words about reality. So, let’s ask a tough question. Who sets your standards? How do you decide what is OK and what’s not? Is it Scripture? The traditions of a religion/philosophy? Science? Society? Some celebrity? Our friends? You? According to the passage today, if it’s not God through His Word, the love of the Father is not in us, we hate God and we are His enemies.
What about “for God so loved the world …”? God is God. His love for the world is the pure love of a Creator for His creation. At one point, we might have been able to purely love an impure world. In our fallen state, our loving the world means turning away from God. When we allow the world (our society or our circumstances) to dictate our behavior, we are throwing rocks at God.
What about “love your neighbor as yourself”? God commanded that – it’s a good command, but only when we are first loving the Lord our God with all our hearts, souls, minds and strengths. If God is not first and foremost in our love, then loving your neighbor is idolatry.   
 Now for what I am not saying. I am not suggesting that we should treat the world badly. Job 1 and Luke 4 record interactions between the Father and Satan and between Jesus and Satan.[1] Notice God’s treatment of Satan. He allows Satan into Heaven and permits him to report just like the other angels. He never trash talks him, never calls him names. He treats Satan with more kindness and courtesy than Satan deserves but not with deference. Even when He gives Satan permission to act, there is no concession of authority. Instead, God seems to set Satan up to do His bidding.
This is one of the reasons we need to study Scripture and to learn sound principles for understanding what it says. The World says “love me, love (accept and celebrate) my sin.” The world tells us that we are not perfect, and therefore we should embrace the imperfections of others. God says, “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Matthew 5:48) The solution is not to accept but to repent.


            One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. The LORD said to Satan, “Where have you come from?”
           Satan answered the LORD, “From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it.”
            Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”
            “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.” 
The LORD said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.” (Job 1:6-9)
 
 The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.”
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone.’’”
The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. So if you worship me, it will all be yours.”
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’’”
The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here.  For it is written: “ ‘He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’’”
Jesus answered, “It says: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’’”
When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time. (Luke 4:4-13)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t