Skip to main content

Life and Death


We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you. (II Corinthians 4:10-12)
 
For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? (Matthew 16:25-26)
 
        There’s a choice to be made. It’s simple but it’s hard. It seemed most clear to me during my last career. As I crossed the parking lot I thought that death would be preferable to another day there. At the same time, I believed that God had directed me there. I considered the verses from Matthew. I could either escape from where I was and save my life and lose my soul (not to hell, but to self) or I could die a little more every day and be more alive through eternity as a result.
         It’s not that I thought my salvation was at issue. It was more that the quality of that salvation, or perhaps my sanctification was at issue. I could refuse to face what I believed God had called me to face or I could trust Him for my life and accept this death to self. I started thinking of the parking lot as my little Gethsemane. I could either say, “Not my will but Thine” or I could say, “Not Thy will but mine!”
          For years, I told my father that I didn’t want to move to Florida. For a fewer number of years, I told him that when and if it reached the point that he needed me to go with him to Florida, I would. Not quite two years ago, I left my career (as miserable as it was), walked away from my social status (as low as it was) and became even more of a nobody, living two half-lives. It’s not easy. It’s simple but it’s hard. I don’t have control of much. I feel guilty for going to the dentist, because I’m not spending my money.
          And yet, these deaths to self gave life. As miserable as my career was, my schedule had some flexibility. It allowed me to do things I couldn’t have done in a “better” job that demanded more hours or a more regular schedule. Becoming Dad’s unpaid caregiver has allowed me the freedom to write.[1] My soul is more alive because I’ve died to self and to “life” as the world defines it.  


[1] This is something that those protesting for women to receive “equal pay” don’t mention. The price men pay for their “greater” paycheck is with their lives. On average in America, women live to be 81, men, 76. Women more often make the choice to walk away from the slavery of the workplace to care for children or parents. Those who ridicule that decision are trying to sell slavery and the giving up of freedom in the name of “equality.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t