Skip to main content

Responses

 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” (Matthew 4:4) 

          Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’” (Matthew 4:8) 
          Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’” (Matthew 4:10)


         Understanding the temptations we face is important. Understanding how to respond is even more important. You’ve probably heard that Jesus’s responses to Satan’s temptation were quotes from Scripture. The first is from Deuteronomy 8:3.[1] The second is Deuteronomy 6:16. [2] The third is Deuteronomy 6:13.[3] Two things should be noticed. All come from what Moses told the Israelites after they had been wandering in the desert for forty years. They are warnings about what they were to do and not do when they entered the Promised Land. 
         The commandments Jesus quotes are paraphrased, taken out of context and at least potentially misapplied. Jesus doesn’t seem to be following the rules of application as laid down by those who teach proper hermeneutics. I’m entirely in favor of proper interpretation of Scripture. The notion that it can mean whatever we want it to mean is nonsense. Jesus, being God incarnate, understood the Scripture as only He could. We need to be far more careful in our limited understanding, but perhaps applying His Word is more important than making sure we have ever T crossed and every I dotted in absolutely correct interpretation. 
          In Jesus’ first reply, He doesn’t just reject the idea of solving His problem Himself. He rejects problem. As hungry as He was, eating food was not what would make Him able to accomplish the task before Him. He didn’t need to prove Himself to be the Son of God to Satan or to Himself. His audience was not there. 
          His second reply is this writer’s dream response. First, Jesus is telling Satan that He will not put God to the test. That is the Law and He is going to follow it. But wait, there’s more. God, the Son, told Satan not to put God to the test. That was not only what Satan was suggesting to Jesus, but it was what Satan was doing to Jesus. The rebuke is not just of the idea, but of the technique. 
          His third reply does the same thing. Not only is Jesus saying that He won’t worship Satan even He gets the whole world for it (What does it profit a man if he gains the world but loses his soul?) but that Satan should worship the Lord and serve Him only. In other words, “No, Satan, you worship Me.”
          And, in a sense, that’s exactly what Satan did. He slunk away, conceding defeat, at least for the moment. Jesus was the Victor.



[1] He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. (Deuteronomy 8:3)
[2] Do not test the LORD your God as you did at Massah (Deuteronomy 6:13)
[3] Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name. (Deuteronomy 6:16)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t