Skip to main content

Association


          Now he had to go through Samaria.  So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon.
          When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?”  (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)
          The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.) (John 4:4-9)
          Violated First Century PC Rule  #1: Jews do not associate with Samaritans. There were reasons for this. First, Samaria and Judea were once both parts of Israel, but Jeroboam rebelled against Solomon’s son. Since it made no sense to him for himself and his people to go to Jerusalem several times a year to worship, he made to idols for his people. They were rebels who committed treason against God. To make things worse, the people of that area were taken away to exile before the Judeans were, and other people, with other gods, moved into the area. When God made it clear that He was not pleased with them, they brought priests back from exile, and learned to live in ways that would placate Him, but they never truly turned to Him. They continued to worship their own gods. The Isrealites who were in the land intermarried with the foreigners. Israelites were known to walk around Samaria in order to avoid the taint of the land.
          Violated First Century PC Rule #2: Men, especially men who want to be respected as leaders, do not associate with women who aren’t their relatives. More importantly than that, they never associate with women at wells. Abram’s servant found a wife for Isaac by visiting a well. Jacob found a wife at a well. Moses found a wife at a well. I don’t know if there was an actual rule about wells, but who could fail to notice the pattern?
          We are told that we should follow the example set by Christ, so, with whom don’t I associate? Well, what do we mean by associate? This woman seems to think asking for a drink is associating. If I were thirsty, is there anyone I wouldn’t ask for a drink? I’ve been accused of not associating with a wide variety of people who are part of groups of which I don’t approve, but of whom would I not ask for a drink if I were thirsty?
          The first answer that comes to mind is that I would not ask a human for a drink. I wouldn’t want to ask anyone. I would look for a way to get a drink for myself. I prefer to be invisible. I’m an Introvert. I don’t want to bother anyone, especially if I don’t know anyone. After that, I would more quickly ask a woman. Beyond that, I don’t know that I would go thirsty rather than asking anyone, as long as that anyone was not threatening me.
          This issue has been asked another way in recent years, and a way that is both a little better, and a little worse. What sort of person would I marry? Would I marry a black man, or another woman, or a member of whatever group? Asking for a drink doesn’t measure up to “associating” to me. Marrying goes well beyond “associating” to me. My initial answer is similar. No. No, I would not marry a black man, or another woman, or a member of whatever group. I’m not interested in marrying anyone at this point, so, no.
          There are Scriptures that deal with the issue of association. The Jews were told not to associate with the other nations who dwelled in the land they were. They weren’t to follow their practices of marry them. In the New Testament, we are told not to be yoked with unbelievers. In my life, I can think of a few instances in which I actively chose not to associate with others. One in particular seems to fit the issue here.
         At one point I had a foolish interest in life coaching. Anyone who knows me knows that I would make a bad cheerleader, and life coaching involves a lot of cheerleading. I have a friend who was also interested. In fact, he attended a course to become certified in it. He asked to get together to discuss the idea – as it turns out, of forming a partnership. I declined because of the “non-association” concept. He is an Atheist/Agnostic. I’m a Christian. He is Liberal or Libertarian, I am Conservative. He could not respect and support my philosophies as a coach and I could not respect and support his. Neither of us could have stepped in and done the other’s job with integrity without violating the principles and philosophy of the other. I could not associate with him professionally.
          Everyone has standards for their association – and should have. Knowing them is useful. Association requires something more than would be accomplished by a glass of water. Association was Jesus’ goal, I think, but it was association on His terms, not hers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t