Skip to main content

The Pubilc Square


Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.”  So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days.  And because of his words many more became believers.
          They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.” (John 4:39-42)
The disciples go into town, they bring back food. The woman goes into town, she brings back people. The Jewish leadership didn’t believe Him in spite of signs and wonders, but the leadership of this town says they believed Him because they had heard. There’s no mention of any signs and wonders. Maybe He did miracles there. Maybe He didn’t. That wasn’t the basis of their belief.
          As I wrote yesterday, I can understand the disciples here. They were trying to do something good and proper. Feeding Jesus was one of their responsibilities. I can understand the Jewish leadership, too. Examining prophets and claimants to the title of Messiah was one of their responsibilities. They weren’t supposed to be easy to convince. If they had been, they would not have been doing their job.
          What the woman did brings to mind an editorial I saw yesterday. It was a parrot piece – I sometimes think I should clip it and keep a copy to verify that the next time it shows up, it’s exactly the same wording. “Only the names have been changed….” The writer insists that religion should be kept out of the public square. The only places where religion is to be practiced are in the home and in places specifically designated for worship.
          Now, for some, a “religion” is a belief in and worship of a supernatural being, as defined by the Oxford Dictionary of English, but that is a woefully inadequate definition because that is not all a religion does. It gives a superficial overview while ignoring the content, and its limits are completely artificial. A religion is a person’s beliefs about his/her relationship with 1) the universe and its creator (if one exists) and 2) the other residents thereof. There are no religions that ignore the other residents. There are philosophies that do, but not religions.
         So, if I am informed by my religion that I am to love my neighbor as myself, must I hate them in the public square? If your religion tells you it’s wrong to murder someone, must you murder in the public square. Well, no, of course, not. Those are all things we agree about. But why do we agree? Some would claim it’s just rational, but how do we know it’s rational? The reality is that if we believe it is right to love our neighbor as ourselves, or that we should do to others as we want them to do to us, or that it’s wrong to murder, we believe it because we were taught it. While other religions and philosophies may agree, we were taught it because the prevalent religion or philosophy that informed our western civilization for the past thousand years was Christianity.
          Others would claim that what keeping religion out of the public square means is that we must not push our particular beliefs down the throats of others. In telling me that I must not practice my beliefs in the public square, isn’t the person who says, “Thou shalt not practice your religion in the public square” practicing his religion in the public square by forcing down my throat his belief that religion should not be practiced in the public square? That’s what’s known as a self-contradiction. I know the person saying it would claim it’s not part of his religion. He probably would claim that he doesn’t have a religion because he doesn’t believe in any gods. He still has beliefs about his relationship to the universe and its creator (supposedly non-existent but that tells you something about how he relates to it) and the other residents therein.
        The woman at the well went back to the public square. She’d been married five times and was living with a new guy she hadn’t bothered to marry. Her reputation was already shot in town. She went to the well when she did to avoid the looks and the whispers. The town benefitted because they weren’t bigots who enforced some nonsense about not bringing religion into the public square.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t