Skip to main content

Cue The Music

          A second time they summoned the man who had been blind. “Give glory to God by telling the truth,” they said. “We know this man is a sinner.”
                He replied, “Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!”
               Then they asked him, “What did he do to you? How did he open your eyes?”
                  He answered, “I have told you already and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you want to become his disciples too?”
               Then they hurled insults at him and said, “You are this fellow’s disciple! We are disciples of Moses! We know that God spoke to Moses, but as for this fellow, we don’t even know where he comes from.”
                The man answered, “Now that is remarkable! You don’t know where he comes from, yet he opened my eyes. We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly person who does his will.  Nobody has ever heard of opening the eyes of a man born blind. If this man were not from God, he could do nothing.”
               To this they replied, “You were steeped in sin at birth; how dare you lecture us!” And they threw him out. (John 9:24-34)
         
         This morning, this passage reminds me of a filk song to the tune of “She’ll Be Comin’ Round the Mountain When She Comes” inspired by Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Here’s the chorus:
They’ll be coming ‘round the mountain when they come
They’ll be coming ‘round the mountain when they come
Oh, the Air Force will deny it
‘Cause the Air Force didn’t fly it
They’ll be coming ‘round the mountain when they come.
         I also find myself thinking of the Men in Black movies. The suits have shown up with their dark glasses on and pronounced, “It didn’t happen.”
          Then one of them looks at the other and asks, “Where’s the memory wiper?”
         The other looks back and says, “I thought you brought it.”
         “Oh well, I guess we’ll have to do it the old-fashioned way. Mister, He is demon-possessed. You are demon-possessed, or crazy, or lying. The sooner you accept that, the better it will go for you. Don’t make us excommunicate you.”
         I’m sorry, I’ve probably ruined your reverent imagining of this scene forever. In fact, the Pharisees were correct to cross-examine the witness, to make sure that his story held up. The problem is that they rejected the story even when the circumstantial evidence supported it.
         As a mode of argument, both what the Pharisees did, and what I did, is all too common. It’s called “Ad Hominem” and it involves attacking the arguer rather than the argument. When the man born blind points out several pertinent facts, the Pharisees respond with “You were steeped in sin at birth! How dare you lecture us,” and they threw him out.
         On the other hand, the man born blind presents a better (not perfect) argument. He sings another song that wasn’t written until many centuries after this happened, “…was blind, but now I see.” He followed the evidence. Further, he says, in effect, we agree on several points.
A       God does not listen to sinners.
B.      He listens to the godly person who does his will.
C.      Nobody has ever heard of opening the eyes of a man born blind.
D.      If this man were not from God, he could do nothing.
         “Yet, he opened my eyes.” What is the logical conclusion?
         Cue the music of your choice:
          “They’ll be coming ‘round the mountain when they come (when they come)…”
…or…
         “Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me!
         I once was lost, but now I’m found, was blind, but now I see!”

         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...