Skip to main content

Do You See?

            Jesus heard that they had thrown him out, and when he found him, he said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?”
         “Who is he, sir?” the man asked. “Tell me so that I may believe in him.”     
           Jesus said, "You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you.”
           [Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him.
                        Jesus said,] “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”
                        Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, “What? Are we blind too?”
                        Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains. (John 9:35-41)
        
           This morning, we should begin with a technical note. The portion of the text in brackets is not included in early manuscripts. It makes perfect sense in light of the rest of the text, but it wouldn’t be entirely honest to make it the focus of comments this morning.
          Instead, we’ll take a look at some history. At the end of the Middle Ages, European society rediscovered Greco-Roman literature and moved into a time of technical and scientific advancement. I am truly grateful for the discoveries and inventions of that era, and many (most) of them were made by people who professed belief in Jesus Christ. Even Galileo, who was put on trial by the Catholic Church remained a member of that church, and frequently visited his daughter, who was a nun. The so-called war between the Church and Science had not yet begun. Those considering the previous several hundred years in comparison to the apparent leaps in understanding taking place dubbed the former times, “The Dark Ages” and their own age, “The Enlightenment.”
         In 1967, a song with marvelous harmonies came out, pronouncing that this was the dawning of the Age of Aquarius. When exactly that dawn was supposed to take place is still unknown, but supposedly somewhere around 2000. We were all supposed to become somehow superior to the miserable, hateful creatures we were during the Age of Pisces.
          Around the same time that the age of Aquarius was supposed to begin, the New Atheists started making noise. They were more aggressive in their hatred of Christianity (and to a lesser extent other religions) than previous Atheists were and they dubbed themselves “The Brights.” Later, one of the more well-known of them admitted that this might not have been the best PR move they could have made.
       Even more recently, those leading the Millennial Progressive Movement started using terms like “Awakened” and “Awoke” and “Woke.”
         In today’s text, the Pharisees proclaim themselves to be just like these other groups. They were offended that Jesus would suggest they were blind. They were the ones who could see. Those who believed what Jesus said and did were the blind ones. Quite often today, people who are religious are called Pharisees because we are said to claim to see while being blind. What those making that claim don’t notice is that Jesus’ biggest issue with the Pharisees was with their rejection of Him. Yes, they sought to impose their understanding of what is right and wrong on others, and they didn’t apply it equally to themselves. Yes, that same tendency can be found within every group that holds to some standard.
         What those who are quick to denounce religious folks as Pharisees fail to see is that in doing so, they are being Pharisees themselves. I hear protests that labels are wrong, and that it’s wrong to shame someone, but the same people who say those things claim that they are right to do so. It’s just those blind, hateful, phobic, unwoke, crae-crae folk who have the audacity to think they’re right who are wrong to label or shame others.
          We are all blind when we have no light. C. S. Lewis said that he believes in God as he believed in the sun, not because he saw it, but because by it, he saw all else. Christians should see by the Light of the World, who is the Word of God. Whenever we try to mix that light with any other, that light is dimmed. It becomes harder and harder to see, but usually, we tell everyone that we actually see better – because like the Pharisees, we don’t want to admit we can’t see. What we need to do is seek the Light even more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t