Skip to main content

Looking for Jesus?

          After the people saw the sign Jesus performed, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.”  Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.  When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough.  When they had rowed about three or four miles,[b] they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened.  But he said to them, “It is I; don’t be afraid.” Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading.
         The next day the crowd that had stayed on the opposite shore of the lake realized that only one boat had been there, and that Jesus had not entered it with his disciples, but that they had gone away alone.  Then some boats from Tiberias landed near the place where the people had eaten the bread after the Lord had given thanks. Once the crowd realized that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they got into the boats and went to Capernaum in search of Jesus. (John 6:14-24)        

          What more can we say about Jesus walking on the water? It’s a spectacular miracle but it’s been discussed to death. John’s account, which leaves out Peter’s involvement, is comparatively boring. The thing that is usually left out of the descriptions is the crowds. They were a little excited. Jesus had miraculously fed them.  Every time an election comes around, people get excited because their chosen politician is going to fix things, solve our problems, make it easier for us to feed our families. Why wouldn’t they want someone as king who could feed them with so little effort or cost on their part or His. They knew a good thing when they saw it.
          Then, He sent His disciples away. In one of the other accounts, He forced them to get into the boat. How much “king Him” fever did they have? Did fighting the storm take some of the wind out of their sails?
          The next morning, the crowds went looking for Jesus. When they found out He was on the other side of the lake, they got into boats and searched. Like the rest of us, they didn’t really want Jesus to be king. They just wanted their problems solved, their lives made easy, just as people always have in picking their political leaders. I can relate. I often want a knight in shining armor to come along and solve my problems, but then go away and let me live my life as I see fit.
          This seems like a perfect opportunity for Jesus to carry out what they thought He was meant to. The problem was, and is, that doing as the people wanted would have made the people the victors, the ones who gave Him power, and it would have given them the right to remove Him from power the moment He stopped doing what they wanted. In other words, it would have made the people into His god.
         This is our problem, too. We want God in our lives as long as He does what we want. We’re not quite so happy about it when life doesn’t go our way. But it is only because God can and does do things we don’t like that He can be God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t