Skip to main content

Comfort


                He named him Noah and said, “He will comfort us in the labor and painful toil of our hands caused by the ground the LORD has cursed. (Genesis 5:29)

          I thought it would be nice to see what the Bible says about comfort, because I could use some. The first place the word is used is in today’s passage. For about a thousand years (if I remember correctly) the world had suffered under the curse God had put on the land. When people in the Old Testament named people with such a prophetic statement, it usually meant that the name being given means what they are talking about. Noah means comfort, rest. He lived five hundred years before God brought comfort and rest to the world through the global disaster of the flood. He warned people. The ark might have been able to hold more people. More arks could have been built. Scripture has shown more than once that if people turn from their evil, God even withdraws the punishment He pronounces. No one could be bothered to listen until it was too late.
          I need to stop for a moment here, because there’s a piece of the puzzle that needs to be introduced before we lose our way. Comfort doesn’t mean someone patting your shoulder and saying, “There, there… it will be alllll right.” Comfort comes from two Latin words. The first, “com” means “with” or sometimes it is used to intensify the next term. “Fort” means “strength.” Noah, then, was not meant to make things “all better” but to strengthen us or to come alongside us so that the work is not all in our own strength. 
          Comfort isn’t needed when things are going well. It’s needed when life gets tough and you don’t have what it takes to make it on your own. When the disaster is about to fall, or has already taken place, that’s when we need comfort. My mind has pulled off one of its curious leaps. When some people need comfort, they turn to Southern Comfort – whiskey, and it provides Dutch courage, the sort of courage induced by an intoxicant. I’m not looking for that sort of comfort, but there is a connection between comfort (with strength) and courage (heart-i-ness.)
          I pray for you, and for me, that today will be a day of comfort and courage in the midst of whatever disaster you face, large or small. Sometimes, that comfort only comes when we go through the flood, and, in fact, the flood brings it about. It was after the flood that the curse was removed and I think that by the flood that the curse was removed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...