Skip to main content

Comfort


                He named him Noah and said, “He will comfort us in the labor and painful toil of our hands caused by the ground the LORD has cursed. (Genesis 5:29)

          I thought it would be nice to see what the Bible says about comfort, because I could use some. The first place the word is used is in today’s passage. For about a thousand years (if I remember correctly) the world had suffered under the curse God had put on the land. When people in the Old Testament named people with such a prophetic statement, it usually meant that the name being given means what they are talking about. Noah means comfort, rest. He lived five hundred years before God brought comfort and rest to the world through the global disaster of the flood. He warned people. The ark might have been able to hold more people. More arks could have been built. Scripture has shown more than once that if people turn from their evil, God even withdraws the punishment He pronounces. No one could be bothered to listen until it was too late.
          I need to stop for a moment here, because there’s a piece of the puzzle that needs to be introduced before we lose our way. Comfort doesn’t mean someone patting your shoulder and saying, “There, there… it will be alllll right.” Comfort comes from two Latin words. The first, “com” means “with” or sometimes it is used to intensify the next term. “Fort” means “strength.” Noah, then, was not meant to make things “all better” but to strengthen us or to come alongside us so that the work is not all in our own strength. 
          Comfort isn’t needed when things are going well. It’s needed when life gets tough and you don’t have what it takes to make it on your own. When the disaster is about to fall, or has already taken place, that’s when we need comfort. My mind has pulled off one of its curious leaps. When some people need comfort, they turn to Southern Comfort – whiskey, and it provides Dutch courage, the sort of courage induced by an intoxicant. I’m not looking for that sort of comfort, but there is a connection between comfort (with strength) and courage (heart-i-ness.)
          I pray for you, and for me, that today will be a day of comfort and courage in the midst of whatever disaster you face, large or small. Sometimes, that comfort only comes when we go through the flood, and, in fact, the flood brings it about. It was after the flood that the curse was removed and I think that by the flood that the curse was removed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t