Skip to main content

Wicked


         Remove the dross from the silver, and out comes material for the silversmith; remove the wicked from the king’s presence, and his throne will be established through righteousness. (Proverbs 25:4-5) 

            Removing dross from silver requires that the silver be molten. To get it to that state, it has to be heated to nearly 1800 degrees. The way the verses are set up, it seems that we’re supposed to draw a parallel between the two processes. The obvious question would seem to be, “How does one turn up the heat on the wicked who surround the king?” And, as important as that question is, I think it’s also important to ask how we can turn up the heat on the wicked around us. Some would say that wicked means not nice, kind, tolerant, compassionate, inclusive…. Others might say that the truly wicked are the pedophiles, rapists, murderers, drug dealers, corporate big wigs and politicians of certain political affiliations. I don’t think either list is sufficiently clear about what is wicked. I don’t think both lists put together are sufficient, but I think that adding to the lists will not help, either. 
            I believe Deuteronomy 13 gives us a sound principle on which to base our judgment about wickedness in leaders and their advisors. If such a person advocates acting in a way that goes against Scripture, such a person is wicked. It may not be necessary to instantly remove this person, but he/she should be confronted and if he/she continues to advocate what is counter to Scripture, we should seek his/her removal from office by whatever means is appropriate (generally speaking, in the next election.)
            This, to me, is the sort of extreme heat that should be applied to our leaders. Their lives may be imperfect – because none of us is perfect – but regardless of their own faith, if they advocate the violation of Scripture, they have shown themselves to be wicked and need to be removed. 
           Now, there are people who may counter this with claims about politicians who have been divorced, or who have behaved in ways that are reprehensible. David had multiple wives, he committed adultery, and had Bathsheba’s husband killed. He took a census of the people under conditions Scripture said were wrong. God didn’t ignore these things, but David never advocated to his nation that his people violate Scripture. 
           There are others who will point out that there are places in the Old Testament that say that it is wrong to wear clothing of two different materials or to sow two different crops in a field. Those passages do exist, and a discussion of their applicability today would be interesting, but when was the last time that you heard the leadership of our nation talking advocate them?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t