Skip to main content

Not Going The Way It's Supposed To


My eyes fail, looking for your promise; I say, “When will you comfort me?” (Psalm 119:76)          

          The past couple days have been tough. Dad’s mental dictionary doesn’t include words like cooperate except as applied to others. I can understand his frustration with me. I’m not good at asking his opinion or permission when I’m trying to get things done that I believe need to be done. Part of that is because I know that any idea I suggest to him is a bad idea as far as he’s concerned.
          But among the comments made yesterday when we were fighting was one about how much he’d enjoyed the peaches from the old peach tree, and that we should get rid of the tree that is there and put a peach tree in, so he could just walk out in the yard and pick one. So yesterday afternoon, I bought a peach tree for him, and a River Birch for me. It was to go out back as a replacement for the white birch we took out. During a break in our disagreement, I checked on line to see what I could learn about the “Cody Nigra” birch. They had said it would grow to forty feet. The computer said “forty to seventy feet” with a sixty-foot spread (for a yard that is basically thirty feet wide.) I went into a tail-spin of crisis as I settled in for bed an hour late. What to do about Dad? What to do about the tree? Whine, whine, whine. 
          This morning things were stable, sort of. Dad hasn’t gotten any less impossible, but he’s been quiet about it. I spent the morning at the nursery apologizing. It wasn’t any big deal to them, but it was to me. First, I decided to go with a semi-dwarf peach tree instead of the standard. Then I dealt with the bigger issue, the mammoth, probably beautiful birch clump that just wouldn’t work for my yard. 
          His first suggestion: crab apple. No. I’ve seen crab apples, they’re gnarly looking, gargoyle trees that drop inedible fruit everywhere. He said that those were the old school crab apples. He led me to an interesting bronzy tree with fruit that is maybe a quarter of an inch in diameter. The birds get them before they fall to the ground and even if they don’t, they’re small. I ended up buying one, plus five plants to tuck around their trunks, silver mound for the dark crab apple, and 3 coral bells of 2 varieties for the peach tree. One is Peach flambee.
          I got them home by lunch time and got the planted by mid-afternoon. I even decided to put the crab apple where I’d planned to put the peach, so that I could see any birds that come to visit it better. So what does any of that have to do with eyes being tired and wondering when God was going to comfort? 
          Maybe the connection is only in my mind, but last night and to some extent this morning, my eyes were failing. I could not find a way forward. I was stuck in all the wrong attitudes. When I went to the nursery, I ran headfirst into an old friend – not a person, but a road sign. My responses to the idea of crab apples had been “No, no thanks, not interested.” And then God took me in a way I did not want to go. I know I get upset about the dumbest things, but I spent the night begging “Wisdom, direction, and attitude.” I didn’t add “and comfort,” but I should have, because that’s what I really needed. And God did it in an unexpected, but entirely predictable way – a way He’s used many times before, which is how I know that He’s in this summer of gardening that I had thought would be a summer without a garden, and I am comforted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t