Skip to main content

Half Again As Bad As A Four-Letter Word


           Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. (Ephesians 5:21)

           Ah, and we were doing so well. Then Paul had to use that foul language – a six letter bad word. That makes it half again as bad as any of those four-letter-words, doesn’t it? I mean, isn’t submitting like damning oneself? Doesn’t that prove that Paul was a misogynist? We’re all equal!
          I don’t know about you, but I grew up in a time when the word submit was something slaves and animals might be expected to do (maybe) but not people, and especially not African Americans or women. Add to the culture in which I lived the fact that I was a latch-key kid from the age of ten, and accustomed to at least a certain degree of independence… you get the idea.
          One day, I found myself in the mood to buy a book. I headed to one of the local Christian bookstores. I was going to get a book, and it was not going to be a diet book! I have no idea why I’d put that restriction on it, but is it any surprise that the book I got ended up being a diet book? As I got back to my car, God spoken in that clear, inaudible voice He sometimes uses. He said, “You know, it won’t work if you don’t submit to it.”
          My jaw tightened. I ground my teeth but I didn’t turn around and return the book. When I started reading it, the first chapter dealt with the issue of submission. My teeth ground a little harder (I’m amazed I still have teeth.) I dabbled. I didn’t lose weight. Eventually, I donated the book to the library book sale. I understood: if you don’t do what the self-help book or teacher tells you, you won’t get the results advertised. It or he/she can’t help you.
           We don’t think it demeaning to submit to 2+2=4. If we rejected it, we’d find it hard to get through life. Equally so, most of us don’t mind submitting to gravity. It spare us a lot of broken bones, bruises and embarrassment. But the idea of someone else being able to boss us around – that’s unacceptable, inconceivable! “What if that person is unfair…unkind…abusive…?”
          Has that person been unfair, unkind or abusive? If not, maybe a little trust in in order. Until or unless someone shows they mean you harm, if you are choosing to submit, you’re still in charge, just as you are still in charge of yourself when you choose to not fight gravity, or choose to accept that 2+2=4.
          No, submission to another person isn’t easy, but it’d educational. It builds your strength because, no matter what else submitting requires, it requires self-control, and self-control is hard work. Submission isn’t a sign of weakness, it’s a sign of developing strength.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t