Skip to main content

The Helmet


          Take the helmet of salvation (Ephesians 6:17a)

          He put on righteousness as his breastplate, and the helmet of salvation on his head; he put on the garments of vengeance and wrapped himself in zeal as in a cloak. (Isaiah 59:17) 

        But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet (I Thessalonians 5:8)

          At last, something to protect the noggin, but… salvation? Truth has already been used to protect the emotions. But why not knowledge? Or Wisdom? Those are “sexy.” Salvation? According to Scripture, salvation is a gift given without consideration of merit. Salvation is an either you have it or you don’t thing. How is salvation going to protect our heads?
          Sigh, salvation as a helmet seems rather boring. Come to think of it, doing good deeds, submission, and truth/reality aren’t exactly exciting as pieces of armor. I suspect part of the problem is that, romanticism aside, armor isn’t exciting. It’s meant to keep you alive, and alive in this case means connected to God. It’s separation from Him that our armor is meant to prevent.
          Salvation is what connects us to God. To a great extent, truth/reality are unavoidable. Nearly all religions and philosophies have some element of truth to them because they are responses to perceptions of and responses to reality. Submission leads to some measure of peace no matter what one is in submission to. Good and righteous deeds can be done by serial killers, pedophiles, and people who brutalize puppies and kittens. In fact, they are so common that writers have to give their villains “pet the dog/cat” moments so their villains seem more realistic. The only piece of armor so far that those who aren’t Christians can’t access (apart from becoming Christians) is the helmet of salvation. Does that make it a little more interesting?
          That’s not to say that others don’t imitate it. Most try to beat their breastplates (righteousness, good deeds) into helmets. Some try to wrap their belts around their heads (truth.) There are also folks who try to cut their boots apart and fit them to their heads.[1] Still, others try to protect their heads with their bowels (feelings) or hearts (wills.) The problem with each of these is that each requires something that is vital in one area to cover more than one.
          Another of Wonder Woman’s bits of equipment comes to mind: her bracelets that can block gunfire. I remember a scene in which on Amazon pulls off one bracelet and tosses it to another, and they both manage to deflect all the bullets using one bracelet each. Granted, none of them is physical or literal, but how much of the “metal” from your breastplate can you remove before it’s no longer strong enough to do its job?
         There’s one more piece to the puzzle. What is is about salvation that protects the head. The head is the home of the mind and thought. Historically, the attack used against the mind is doubt. “Did God really say…?” And for the Christian, the most dangerous doubt has to do with salvation. Am I really saved? Can a person know whether or not they are saved? All else depends on the answers to those questions. Salvation means you’re connected to God. Doubts separate you from Him, at least from our perspective. So, yes, salvation is a key piece of armor.


[1] This describes Buddhism and Stoicism

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t