Skip to main content

Stay And Instruct


          Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus according to the commandment of God our Savior, and of Christ Jesus, who is our hope,  To Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
         As I urged you upon my departure for Macedonia, remain on at Ephesus so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith. (I Timothy 1:1-4)
          I think I relate to Timothy, one of the men whom Paul apparently chose to come after him. How in the world was he supposed to follow Paul’s performance? It’d be like me trying to follow a virtuoso on the guitar. Yeah, I can strum a few chords.
          Other passages make it clear that Timothy was younger than some of the people he was leading. I can relate to that, too. Most of my life seems to have been spent around people who were older and thought they were in control (or should be.) Our society tends to focus on youth, but whether or not the older folks around me are wise, they are intimidating.
          Onto this stage, those of us who aren’t quite all we think we should be timidly creep. And when we reach the tape X at center stage, we don’t get to sing the song of our choice. No, Paul has instructions. We’re to remain on stage and instruct. I’m not sure if the word in Greek has the same force to it as the English has for me. Somehow, instructing sounds more authoritative and aggressive than merely teaching or preaching.
          What makes it worse is who and what Paul tells him to instruct. There were people teaching strange doctrines. When you get what you think is a really good idea, one that makes you seem like you matter, or know what you’re talking about, how willing are you to step back? In case you don’t know me, you need a really good argument (or my respect) to get me to walk away from my ideas. That challenge is simply not an easy one.
          And then there’s the bit about genealogy. I cringe when I read this passage because I spent twenty years working on my family’s history, and I’m pretty proud of my family and the research I did. Was it wrong to do it? Ultimately, I don’t think what I did is what Paul was telling Timothy not to teach. Before 1100 A.D., there was a tendency for those of pagan persuasion to find in their family history a connection to gods, goddesses, or demi-gods. “Christians” followed the same idea, with a sanctified flavor. They found saints and folks mentioned in the Bible. My family tree includes both! It’s embarrassing, especially when one of the Biblical connections is a son of Noah never mentioned in the Bible but mentioned in Beowulf!
          Now, let’s pull it forward to the last twenty years. Books have been published that are based on lineages tying characters back to Jesus and other Biblical figures and imparting to the supposed descendants either a “Chosen One” status or some prophecy. The DaVinci Code did this in a way that led folks to at least entertain (if not fully believe) the premise of the story as fact.
          This is the sort of thing that I think Paul was warning Timothy about, speculations about family lines in order to make ourselves out to be more than we are. At the same time, I can’t help but consider the theory of evolution, which all comes down to if environmental pressures cause this or that to develop in direction X, then over the course of Y millennia, some portion of the species involved would develop into a different species, maybe even a different genus, family, order, class, phylum, or kingdom! Since no one was there and recorded the events, technically, it’s speculation.
          I can see what Paul is saying. Supposing that we are descended from apelike creatures like Australopithecus afarensis, what actual use does that knowledge have? The only real change it makes deals with one’s worldview. That makes the question of great importance but doesn’t change us. It doesn’t change the past, the present, or the future. It provides us with no real hope, just more speculation.
          On the other hand, we have prophecies in the Old Testament that have been fulfilled within recorded history. We have prophecies in the Old and New Testaments that are being fulfilled, or for which there is evidence that they will likely be fulfilled soon. That sort of knowledge is practical, and that’s the sort of knowledge Paul seems to want Timothy to teach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t