Skip to main content

Temptations


          No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. (I Corinthians 10:13)

          Gulp. No, this isn’t one of my favorite verses. I wish it were, but for it to be a favorite, I’d have to feel far more confident of my ability to endure or escape temptation. Like most people, I’m far, far better at giving in to temptation than at enduring it or at escaping it.
          The first thing Paul says about the temptations we are to endure is that they are common. Normal. We tend (are tempted) to want to be special. It’s tempting to think that either the temptations we experience are greater than those experienced by others, or that we are weaker. In one way or another, we’re the exception.
When Paul says, “Nope,” another temptation comes along. If we are not the exception, then maybe the thing we’re tempted to do isn’t so bad. Everyone experiences it. How can it be evil if it’s natural, normal, or routine? The problem is that falling down and throwing up are both natural, normal, and routine (under the right circumstances.) We don’t tend to look at those as something we want to do any more than necessary. In and of itself, being natural, normal, or routine does not make a thing advisable, desirable, or good.
          The second thing Paul says is that God is faithful, and he won’t allow us to be tempted beyond what we are able. With the right hand, we wipe our foreheads. Whew, God won’t let it be too big a temptation. With the left hand, we do a facepalm or an “I’ve got a headache” rubbing of the forehead because God won’t let it be too big a temptation, but we’ve failed again. (Oops!)
          The third thing that Paul says is that God will give us a way out. I want that way out to be marked with neon lights and be easy. I’d like it to make me look strong and good without my having to be strong or good. I want it to be miraculous. The truth is that the way to endure anything involves endurance, which means repeated, consistent hard work over protracted periods.
           I wish I could provide a definitive list of the means God provides as a way out. Several come to mind. One is to love God with all our hearts, souls, minds, and strengths. If someone is that important, if we want to please Him that much, and we know that something displeases Him, that may be enough to stay our hand. A second is to love our neighbor as ourselves, using the same idea. A third is to love ourselves rightly and enough that doing something that isn’t good for us doesn’t hold as much allure as doing something that is good for us.
          A fourth way is to change our minds about the things that tempt us. How many people give in to temptation because it’s bad for them or because they don’t want the thing in question? I can and will boast in the fact that I am never tempted by Brussel’s Sprouts. Windows don’t whisper sweet nothings in my ear about washing them. Spending money? Eating foods that aren’t good for me, or more food than I need? Procrastinating about something I should do. Oh yes, those things tempt me. Why? Why don’t I change my mind about these things? Why don’t I at least try, at least about the things that do tempt me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t