Skip to main content

Courtesy



So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. (Matthew 7:12)

          The next topic in Dr. Chapman’s list of habits or characteristics of love is courtesy. He describes it as treating others like friends. He goes so far as to suggest that we should treat people as if we were extroverts (people people) and they are our friends. Reaching out to them, engaging them – not only being active participants in the relationship, but regularly initiating interactions, remembering to send birthday cards, thank-you notes, etc.
This description doesn’t seem helpful, and not only because I’m an introvert who thinks it rude to impose myself too often on people (if I’m trying to be courteous.) Someone once pointed out that when a family member spills a glass of milk, they get reprimanded and rebuked. When a guest does, it’s no big deal. We smile and clean up. It seems to me that friends might not be reprimanded and rebuked, but they’re likely to be handed a towel and expected to help clean. They may also get ribbed about it.
I think a better description is the application of today’s passage. Courtesy isn’t about treating everyone as a friend – because we might not treat friends as well as we should. Courtesy is about treating others as we want to be treated – or better.
I need to insert a couple words of caution here. Some people have a very black and white view of courtesy. They believe it requires you to live up to a standard they have set, and they will judge you if you fail. Someone has pointed out that if you ever are discovered to do something that someone might consider racist, you are forever required to wear a red R on your clothes – at least as far as they’re concerned. This is like that. Some people have clear ideas about what is courtesy and what is not.
The reality is that we’re not the same. Dr. Chapman says we’re to treat the person we are with as if they are the only other beings in the universe. We’re not to answer phones (I have no problem with that,) and we’re not to look around or allow ourselves to be distracted. Mono-focus. I have no doubt that a person can train him/herself to pay better attention to a person they’re with.
You’re probably adept. I’m not. If a bird lands nearby, you’re likely to take second place for long enough for me to try to identify it. Ditto on butterflies or a wide variety of critters. Music may draw my attention, or an idea, or, or, or… As far as I know, I’m not ADHD, but what about them? Am I to be considered rude? Are they?
I’ve mentioned recently that Brother Lawrence talked about giving yourself grace when your mind wanders from God’s presence in your life. You’re supposed to gently guide yourself back to attentiveness when you realize you’ve lost it. I think the same sort of grace is needed here. There are times when a conversation requires absolute focus, but for day to day conversation, well, it’s discourteous to expect the impossible from someone. I’ve been called rude because I take a laptop to talks and speeches. I’m supposed to be paying attention to the speaker. The thing is, if I take notes, I am paying attention. If I’m not taking notes, my attention is likely to wander.
All this leaves me unsure about how to become more courteous, but I suppose it would be courteous for me to ask you about your thoughts on the subject. Do you have struggles? Have you had victories?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t