Skip to main content

Truth


So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;  and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” (John 8:31-32)

Life is being a pain in the neck. I fully recognize that there are people for whom life is far worse than a pain in the neck, but that doesn’t make it any less a pain in the neck. As usual, the slightest pain reduces the universe down to the size of that pain. It doesn’t matter what good things have happened. All that matters is the thing that causes the pain.
And since I don’t want to mock or belittle anyone else’s pain, I can only discuss my own, which deserves to be mocked and belittled. The first whisperings were “I’m all alone.” Other people have spouses. Do I want a husband? Not really, but it would really be nice to not have to handle all the chores myself, or to have someone who will listen, understand, and speak the truth I need to hear (instead of the truth they want to shove down my throat.) 
          And God says, “I will never leave you or forsake you.” He promised a Comforter.
My mind dismisses this with a wave of a mental hand. “It’s not the same.”
The truth is, it’s better, but I still feel all alone.
The second whispering is a well-loved enemy. “Not good enough,” or “Failure.” I saw a meme that describes a parallel situation well. He said that you can get it right racially 99 times. But if you slip once and say something that doesn’t meet with the approval of groups like Black Lives Matters, you are condemned eternally as a racist.
It doesn’t matter how many fronts I make progress. I made a batch of peach-orange jam yesterday. Today I plan to make peach-blueberry jam, and I get to try the cherry galette I made for dinner. I just got done pulling weeds out of my garden (a never-ending chore.) I’m taking steps to publish my second novel. I’m close to finishing two books and slogging my way through Mein Kampf besides. I’m learning about foraging. I’m doing all kinds of stuff that if I were someone else looking at me, I might find impressive. But… the house isn’t spotless, I’m struggling to write a blurb (novels are “easy” but blurbs are hard.) I’m spending too much money. I’m fat. And there’s truth to a lot of those. I am a failure.
But God says, “My grace is sufficient for you.”
My mind dismisses this with a wave of a mental hand. “It’s not the same.”
The truth is, it’s better, but I still feel like a failure. The truth is also that I am a failure. I can’t possibly accomplish all I would like to or all I should. The only way I could do that is by being God. Since I’m not God, it’s OK to fail. But that’s not what my feelings tell me.
And this brings us back to our passage. Knowing the truth sets us free. It doesn’t give us what we want but it frees us. And that’s why we don’t like the truth. We don’t want to be free if freedom means telling our feelings that they’re lying, or mistaken, or out of line. Unfortunately, that’s the only way to be free: to demand that those things that lie to us stop and to hold on to what we know to be true even if our feelings say otherwise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t