Skip to main content

Gibeonites


 However, when the people of Gibeon heard what Joshua had done to Jericho and Ai, they resorted to a ruse: They went as a delegation whose donkeys were loaded with worn-out sacks and old wineskins, cracked and mended. They put worn and patched sandals on their feet and wore old clothes. All the bread of their food supply was dry and moldy.  Then they went to Joshua in the camp at Gilgal and said to him and the Israelites, “We have come from a distant country; make a treaty with us.” (Joshua 9:3-8)

          There’s an ad playing on I Heart Radio that talks about the dreams and how when we wake up, we forget parts of the dream. It goes on to say that in the American dream, what was forgotten is the Blacks, and because they were forgotten, they have to go out and make their own American dream. I was more than a little impressed with what I heard, though you now know as much as I knew. That was the end of the ad.
The second time I heard it, I turned to see what was going on, and it looks benign. Just pictures of nice, pleasant looking dark-skinned folks. And I thought, “Well, good! That’s what is supposed to happen.” Then I saw the small print. Pepsi is partnering with Black Lives Matters to help Black folks build their American dream. My impression did a 180. My “Well good! That’s what is supposed to happen,” turned into “Who’s gaming and who’s getting gamed?”
Then I thought of the Trojan Horse, and of the passage from which the text above was taken. Joshua and his army had defeated Jericho and Ai, and the Gibeonites decided to trick the Israelites. Foolishly, no one checked with God, and when they found out they’d been scammed, they made the Gibeonites slaves. That was OK with the Gibeonites, because that meant Israel had to protect them. The problem with the ad is that I’m not sure who the Gibeonites are or who the Israelites are.
I’m always a little leery when government or big business decide to make a treaty with a group of people. It just doesn’t tend to end well – consider the Cherokee, the Navajo, the Lakota, etc. I just can’t help but wonder how Pepsi is going to stab BLM in the back.
At the same time, I’m concerned by the fact that the ad doesn’t tell how the American dream is going to be built for Blacks. On one hand, that returns me to my thoughts in the previous paragraph. On the other, it makes me wonder how long before BLM stabs Pepsi in the back. BLM’s manifesto makes it clear that their interest isn’t really in America – it’s an international agenda. That suggests to me the need to be concerned about how long before BLM stabs America in the back.
As attractive as the picture is – harmless, kind-hearted people who just want to be friends or to help the underdog, who just want to see everyone getting their piece of the American dream – I just have to wonder if use of the term “American dream” is like the props the Gibeonites used to convince the Israelites of their lie. And what will be the cost to whoever the Israelites are in this scenario.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t