Skip to main content

Ashamed

             For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. (Romans 1:16) 

Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. (Luke 9:26) 

Some think of themselves as serving God and Christianity by posting challenges on Facebook to prove you’re not ashamed of the gospel or of Jesus Christ. I’ve shared my opinion of these self-styled Inquisitors, who think they have not just a right, but a responsibility to wander the wastelands of Facebook, exposing everyone they deem unworthy of the name “Christian” on the basis of those people’s unwillingness to improve the Facebooks stats of the Inquisitor.

But – there are verses like the two above. What are we to do with them? The passage in Romans is from the beginning of the letter in which Paul carefully lays out who he is and the reasoning of his teachings about Jesus Christ. At the time, the Jews were taught that the one who hangs on a tree/pole is cursed (Deuteronomy 21:23.) Romans were taught that the worst of criminals were crucified. Jesus was a comparative nobody in terms of social position. Those who followed him admitted that he had been crucified. He’d lost any battle that would have given him the right to be worshipped.

The context for the quote from Luke can be found in Matthew 16:21-28. It’s the passage in which Peter pulls Jesus aside and rebukes him for predicting his own death. Could it be that Peter’s rebuke found its roots in Peter being ashamed somehow? I don’t know, but it was a common belief that the Messiah would defeat the Romans and set the Jews free, so if Jesus wasn’t going to do that – did Peter think that maybe he’d bet on the wrong savior?

The question of whether we are ashamed of Jesus or the gospel is important. But what does it mean to be ashamed? Technically, it means: “embarrassed or guilty because of one's actions, characteristics, or associations; reluctant to do something through fear of embarrassment or humiliation.” So if you refuse to respond according to those Inquisitors and their posted demands because you’re embarrassed to be known to be a Christian, there’s a problem. If you refuse to respond the way they want because they are being underhanded and exploitative, it’s another. If you hide the fact that you’re a Christian to keep a job or a friendship, there’s a problem, but that doesn’t mean you have to step through every door, strike a pose and proclaim, “Hey, everyone, I’m here, and I’m a Christian!”

And, there’s something more important that we need to remember when we hear these Inquisitors whisper their dire threats about the destiny of anyone ashamed of Christ or the cross. Jesus forgave Peter, and Peter later did great work on behalf of the Savior had denied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t