Skip to main content

Gifts

             We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. (Romans 12:6-8)

 “See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah,  and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you. (Exodus 31:2-6) 

 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. (I Corinthians 13:8)

 

What’s your gift? Do you know? How do you know? Part of my struggle with gifts is the nagging thought that spiritual gifts should be something new, different, and impressive. Once you’re saved, you receive this gift and go from being a nobody to one of the top – well – million in the world, which means probably the top fifty in your community. It’s like Bezalel and Oholiab in Exodus, who were gifted for the construction of the Tabernacle.

The problem is that we don’t aren’t shown Bezalel or Oholiab starting their blinks having none of those skills and finished their blinks as master-craftsmen. They could have been trained in Egypt as part of God’s plan. But I suspect we like to think of these giftings as “rags to riches” stories.

What’s more, we tend to rank the gifts. Things that are showy: miracles, prophecy, and even tongues are visible and exciting. But who notices the servant in the corner who waits patiently for the chance to do the dishes?

I’ve taken spiritual gift assessments a number of times, and I’ve been told that I am a leader, an administrator, a teacher. It seems as though every time I take on a leadership, administrative, or teaching role, I’ve failed miserably. But over the past several years, I’ve been weeding people’s gardens in Florida, and while I am not really fond of the job of weeding, I find great fulfillment in how good the places look when I’m done.

The problem with this way of looking at gifts is that it’s more about what pleases me than what results in God getting the glory, or even than what builds up others. And the problem with that way of looking at gifts is that it almost requires that our gifts be something that makes us miserable because if we enjoy it, we’re somehow robbing God. But if  you and your friend both enjoy something, does your enjoyment diminish the friend’s?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t