Skip to main content

Test

             Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2) 

Do not put the Lord your God to the test as you did at Massah. (Deuteronomy 6:16) 

 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’” (Matthew 4:7 – the cross reference for this verse is Deuteronomy 6:16)

 

“Don’t touch,” says a parent.

A child looks toward the adult with mischief in her eyes. She edges closer to a forbidden object. When nothing is said, she reaches out with a finger poised to touch, and looks at the parent again. She touches the forbidden object. She caresses it with one hand, then two. Each time, checking to see if the parent notices. She may draw back, to pretend she’s not interested, but she inches her way to it again. That is putting someone to the test.

Then, there’s the same child, told, “Don’t touch” who walks to another object. She may go through the same routine with this second object or she might say, “Touch?” and be answered. She may run this test with a thousand things in the house. One may be touched, another not. And the parent will probably lose patience. This is also putting someone to the test, but clearly, they are not the same sort of test.

The passages from Deuteronomy and Matthew above are the first sort of test. The test referred to in Romans is the second. It does not seek to violate God’s will, but to explore it. When Christians discuss God’s will, they tend to wisely suggest several ways to test it.

The first is to look at it in terms of God’s Word. What the Bible says – correctly understood – tells us what is and isn’t God’s will. The “correctly understood” must be included because people do things in the Bible that are clearly not what God commanded.

A second is wise counsel. A third is circumstances.

The challenge for me is to test God. It seems to me that I either plow ahead with the idea that God is welcome to stop me if I’m wrong, or I say I’ll pray about it. The latter usually means that I will end up not doing it, because I don’t pray all that hard, and I don’t really seek an answer. God’s welcome to tell me, but “Sorry, nope, God hasn’t given me the go-ahead.”

This brings the Syrophoenician woman to mind. She had a daughter who was possessed, and she heard Jesus was coming to town. Everything was against her. She was not a Jew, and she was a woman, and Jewish rabbis didn’t associate with gentiles or women. She went anyway. The disciples intercepted. They were there on vacation and if this woman got to Jesus, they knew the vacation was over. She kept begging. Jesus told her that He was sent to the Jews. He insulted her, saying that it wasn’t right for bread to be given to dogs. She kept begging. They went inside and closed the door. Curiously, they didn’t lock it or post guards. She walked in. She was shown God’s will.

It also brings to mind when David and Bathsheba’s first son was dying. David fasted. He wept. He prayed. His advisors were afraid he’d do himself harm when he learned that the child was dead. Instead, David got up, cleaning up, ate up, and got on with life.

I tend to be passive about God’s will. Once I am shown what it is, I may move forward, but – well, there’s part of me that thinks the best way to end up being told “no” is to admit to wanting it. How many blessings do I miss because I am too afraid to see if the door is unlocked?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t