Skip to main content

Long and Winding Road

                 Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this:  He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun. (Psalm 37:5-6) 

Yesterday, I got distracted and lazy. I addressed the first phrase of the passage I chose. Today, let’s finish the task. One of the requirements of our committing ourselves to take the way that leads to Him is that we have to trust that the way leads to Him. It’s easy to head east with a GPS or when the sun is rising in the morning. It’s harder to head east in the dark with no GPS. It’s harder still if you don’t recognize any landmarks and the night sky is obscured by clouds, but that’s the way life is sometimes. It may be the way life is often. The last road sign or the last you could see, you were on a road that said it headed east, but there have been twists and turns. Did you miss an exit? Did you somehow get turned around when you stopped for gas? (It’s happened to me!) Who expected the interstate to turn into a game trail?

I’m listening to The Last of the Mohicans and it’s a great example of this. Four whites trusted a native to take them on a shortcut. They came upon another white and two natives who revealed the deceit of the first native. The new trio took the four to a hiding place, where they heard noises they’d never heard before within their cave hideout. It turned out the noises were only the horses of the four whites, and the reason for their noise was quickly dealt with, but the noise led hostile natives to them. Have we innocently trusted an enemy? Or, have we thought ourselves betrayed by a friend and have trusted a greater enemy? Where is the cavalry when we need it?

But no, we have seen no road signs, no exits. Even if the throughway has turned into a game tail filled with mudpuddles big enough to swallow a car – even though the way seems tough, if we are committed, we are committed. We must go on to the next cross-road or wait for morning. If we’re somehow on the wrong road, we must wait for our God Positioning System to tell us to turn right in a quarter mile or stay on this road. That’s what being committed means.

And when we are committed, and when we trust, God promises that we’ll see the sunrise, and while some of the road we can see seems to lead away from it, in the distance, the road resumes its eastward journey. What’s more, as you take the journey, the things that hinder, entangle, and besmirch you will be removed, so that you can take hold of your reward, and so that charges laid against you will be proven to be without merit. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t