Skip to main content

At The Right Time

             You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:6-8)

            In terms of Advent, this week focuses on joy. Both the verse in my devotional and the Biblegateway.com verse include the words “Do not fear.” They go on to say that they have good news. And my mind fills with memories of videos of people trying to help animals that are trapped or injured. The animals struggle and try to defend themselves. Sometimes, even once an animal is rescued, it may attack the humans who are trying to help it. I think of my dog, Grace, who hurt her foot twice on our walk today, and who has stepped on countless sand burrs. She’s lived with me for almost nine years but she still snaps and growls when I try to touch the hurting paw. No one could touch my previous Shiba, Honey, unless they had her attention first, and even then, only two people could.

            It doesn’t seem surprising to me, then, that people should react with fear and even distrust when they encounter God or one of His messengers. We can’t believe they want to help us, especially if that helping requires their restraining us. Sure, that wire may be around our throats, but the One reaching for us just added stress. And just because we believe and claim to trust Him doesn’t really help.

            I watched a video of a man trying to help a swan. He paddled after the swan (which couldn’t fly) until it was too tired to keep going and effectively trapped itself in some bushes. I’ve also heard that until a drowning victim stops struggling, it’s dangerous to all concerned to try to save them. Logic doesn’t matter. The world has narrowed to the pain or the fear. But at the right time, God came to save us, and at the right time, He still does.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t