Skip to main content

Prophecies #2

             When your days are over and you go to be with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever. I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will never take my love away from him, as I took it away from your predecessor. I will set him over my house and my kingdom forever; his throne will be established forever.’” (I Chronicles 17:11-14)

            But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.” (Micah 5:2)

 

          Yesterday, we considered the prophecies stating that the Messiah had to be a son of Adam and Eve, Abraham, Jacob (Israel,) and of those who came out of Egypt. In today’s passages we learn that the Messiah also had to be a son of David while at the same time, have origins from ancient time and rule over Israel forever. To suggest that this only means that his heritage goes way back and that someone from his household would always sit on the throne doesn’t fit with the specificity with which God speaks of David and his descendants being on the throne. He told David that if David’s descendants were obedient, they would keep the throne. In these verses, there is no behavioral standard for the one about whom God spoke.

          Now, to be clear, saying that one of the descendants of Adam, Abraham, Jacob, and David still leaves a lot of room – between the number of children born in a family the length of time – we’re talking about millions of people. At the same time, some estimate that more than 50 billion people have lived on this planet, and a billion is a thousand times a million, eliminating more than 95% (or even 99%) of all the people who have ever lived. And, since Scripture keeps saying “son,” that reduces it by about another half.

          There’s one more point made in today’s passages. The Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. Remember that these prophecies were written hundreds of years before the described events. Some will protest that outside of the New Testament claims (which they insist might have been fabricated to match the prophecies), nothing confirms that Jesus fulfilled the prophecies. There is also no direct evidence that He didn’t, nor even claims that any of the others they suggest as parallels fulfilled them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...