Skip to main content

Can you see me? Can I see you? More often than not, the answer is "No."

   
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds
and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)
 
     A couple years ago, I wrote a series of poems about what the people we treat as invisible do for us. Most of the people involved fit into occupations and very likely, I could have written many, many more based on professions. Invisible seems to fascinate me. I am working on a story about a woman who desperately longs to be invisible but she ends up becoming a storyteller. Of course, she is based very closely on me. I want you to notice and to deal with what I say or what I do, not with the fact that I am saying or doing it. I want to do my job and slip away (who was that masked woman? Oh - for the courage to wear a mask while doing it!)
      The other day, I finished reading a book that talked about invisibility. Mr. Steele referred to what he called White Blindness. It is the idea that we (it is not actually limited to white people) don't tend to see the human being behind the stereotypes into which we've put them. He wrote about the damage done by those who have tried to take responsibility of fixing things for the Black community. A man who described himself as one of the architects of the movement Mr. Steele described confronted him and insisted that Mr. Steele acknowledge and show some gratitude for all that he and his associates had done for the Blacks. For Mr. Steele's part, he was equally enraged because the angry man could not see either him, or the Black community, apart from the stereotype he'd built for them.
      He tells of a staff meeting in which a fellow "enlightened" professor said that they didn't need to ask Mr. Steele to share his opinion on her plan for a course in minority literature because, of course, he would agree with her. When he voiced his resentment that his opinion was being assumed - and the assumption was wrong, she seemed to consider him a traitor.
       I've been in that sort of role as an invisible person many times. Family members have made decisions that deeply affected my life without consulting me because, "of course" there was no other choice that could be made. They may have been right about the choice being the only real choice, but that didn't change the feeling of having been stabbed in the back. People in a committee with which I was working have made independent choices about what they wanted to include in my workload. What they wanted to include was good, but they handed it to me after the program was put together, without consulting each other to see if it fit or if it could be accomplished. I have stood next to my choir director and listened as she praised the soloists and said absolutely nothing about the invisible choir or its member who was standing next to her. (Not my current choir director, by the way.) And yes, anger erupts.
       I have seen it in those who have defined themselves in terms they expect everyone to applaud, or in terms of the good they believe they are doing. When the goodness or worthiness of their self-definition has been questioned or rejected, they and their whole universe threatens to come apart at the seems. How could they not rage? I have spoken against their very hearts and souls without seeing them.
       Invisibility is a complex problem. Whenever we fail to see the individual human as a person, and see them as only a part of a virtual whole, we've sinned. If we are telling the truth, we must not tell "less truth" because they don't like what they're hearing, but we should remember that to them, we're attacking all that is holy in them or to them. We must expect anger and deal with it appropriately.
      On the other side, Christians have been told to let our lights shine in such a way that others see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven. We are supposed to be invisible. And when we are, it's going to hurt because others will either ignore or attack all that is "holy" in us. We must expect anger and responds with humility.

A prayer:

     "Father, who has been seen by no man, You are invisible. We are material, and fallen, and we are so desperate to be seen not as we are, but as we believe ourselves to be. The pain of not being seen that way is more than we can bear alone without lashing out in anger. At the same time, we fail to see others as they believe themselves to be and in their pain, they lash out at us. We are hurt in turn because they do not see that we are only trying to help them see the truth - perhaps the same truth we so desperately don't want to see.
     Heal our blindness first, Lord. Grant us eyes and hearts that can see them as they are. Grant us the strength and courage to speak truth in love - always truth and always love, even in our hurt. Grant us also the peace to accept our own invisibility. Let our lights so shine that they see our good works and glorify You. Help us accept the pain of our own invisibility and respond in love, speaking truth. "


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t