Skip to main content

"This is a test, this is only a test...."





Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:23-24)
        There's a story recorded in Matthew 15:21-28 and Mark 7:24-30 that seems to me to be about two tests. Jesus and his disciples had been working for a long time. Jesus' cousin, John had been beheaded. The Pharisees were causing problems. Jesus' solution was to take the disciples on a vacation to the land of Tyre and Sidon.
         As I picture it, the disciples knew that if anyone came to Jesus with a need, Jesus would set up shop and start helping. It wouldn't matter if that person was a pagan. They surrounded him not only to hear what He might say, but to keep others from approaching. Then, someone spotted a woman coming toward them. Was it the look in her eyes, or the way she walked that gave her away? Clearly, she had business to conduct with Jesus. As she began pleading with Him, He didn't say anything. When she didn't give up, the disciples coaxed Jesus to send her away. He told her that He was send only to the children of Israel. She didn't give up. According to Mark, they went into a house and closed the door. She walked right in and continued pleading her case. Finally, Jesus said to her that it was not right to give the children's bread to the dogs. She answered "Yes, Lord,” she said, “but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” (Matthew 15:27).
        For the disciples, the test was about what they had learned about how to respond to others. Each step along the way, the disciples answered the same way. They needed to protect Jesus from Himself and from these people who weren't His people. They were caring about Him, but failed to care about the things He cared about.
      For the woman, the test was all about faith. What would she do if He ignored her? If others tried to make her go away? If He closed the door in her face? If He insulted her? Each step, the woman answered the same way. It seems to me that Jesus acted precisely the way a rabbi would be expected to act. It was inappropriate for a rabbi to talk to anyone but his disciples, and especially not a foreigner and even more especially not a woman. When He didn't talk to her, that was to be expected, and He hadn't said "no." She kept asking for what she wanted. When the disciples tried to have Him send her away, that was precisely the way she expected them to act. Jesus didn't say "no," so she kept asking. When they closed the door, she didn't look for another door or a window, she tried the door they'd just closed, and found it unlocked. He hadn't said "no." She kept asking. When He insulted her, that was precisely what she would expect from a Jew, from a rabbi, from a man. She was from an educated area. She was a woman. She was used to haggling and bargaining and playing games.  She answered His challenge, and received what she had gone there for. The disciples failed their tests. She passed with high praise and a reward.
      Did Jesus give those tests because He didn't know how they'd do? No, I suspect that He gave those tests to show them how they would do, and to show the disciples how the foreign, pagan woman could do, and to show us how they did. The test wasn't for His benefit, but for theirs, and hers, and ours.
     There was a time when I could not pray this passage. I couldn't say, "Come on in have a look around. Go through everything, and if You see anything You don't like, feel free to make changes. Pull out the microscope, and if you find any cancer cells of sin, cut them out."  It wasn't that I didn't trust God. It was that I trusted Him to do exactly what I was afraid I could not survive His doing: searching, testing, seeing and leading. Over the years, I have learned to fear being searched and tested less. I still don't want to face the struggle or pain involved, but I've begun to learn to say with Job, that "when He has tested me, I will come forth as gold." (Job 23:10) I have also begun to learn to say with Esther, "and if I perish, I perish" (Esther 4:16.)


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Birthday of Anton Chekhov


          "One must be a god to be able to tell successes from failures without making a mistake."


Birthday of William McKinley


            "Our earnest prayer is that God will graciously vouchsafe prosperity, happiness, and peace to all our neighbors, and like blessings to all the peoples and powers of the earth"


 Birthday of  Thomas Paine


       "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t