Skip to main content

Chew on This

























































Psalm 1

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked

or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.

But his delight is in the law of the LORD and on his law he meditates day and night.

 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not

wither. Whatever he does prospers.

 Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away.

 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,

nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,

but the way of the wicked will perish.

 

         In this psalm the blessed man is described as doing two basic tasks: delighting in the law of the Lord, about which I wrote yesterday, and meditating on the law of the Lord day and night. The word meditate has been given a bad reputation because of its use with regard to Eastern philosophies and religions, which tend to emphasize its use in emptying the mind. There's a good reason for this: the goal of Eastern religions tends to be to become one with nothingness, the elimination of the self.

        In Christian practice, meditation is not emptying the mind, it is filling it. This sort of meditation is often described as being like a cow chewing its cud. It chews, then swallows, then regurgitates and begins the process again. I don't tend to find that picture appealing. An improvement on that is the picture of a dog worrying a bone. The dog keeps returning to that bone and chews and licks until it has ever scrap of edible material, and sometimes the remaining bone in fragments. It's based on these images that I have been known to call  my walking meditation time "walk and chew." My favorite picture of meditation, however, is the gerbil wheel. When I meditate, I go around and around and around with the question or subject. I particularly look for the things that set off "now wait a minute" alarms in my head, and then I begin worrying at it, digging for the meat, looking at it from every possible angle many times, checking what others have said about it. For me, meditation is a form of heuristic learning. (Click here for more on "heuristic")  Sometimes meditation ends in mystery: we still don't have the answer. Sometimes, meditation ends in confirmation: we continue to think as we have. Sometimes (and this is the hope) meditation ends in epiphany: the Ah ha! moment, the "eureka" of having found the gold we sought.

     The question remains, however; why meditate on the law of the Lord day and night? Some might answer "because the Bible tells us to." Others might answer, "because that's the way to wisdom." Johannes Kepler, of the founders of the science of astronomy described science as "thinking God's thoughts after Him." For centuries, western science operated on the premise that a rational being created the universe, and because of that, the laws of the universe could be understood by rational people. ( Link to a site that provides more on the subject.) It was only by meditation on the natural law of the Lord that science came to be.

        Likewise, it was through meditation on the law of the Lord as revealed in Scripture that the foundations of our democratic society and law were established. One of the things that sometimes surprises me is the logical consistency between the natural law and the written (Scriptural) law. It shouldn't, but having been brought up in a society that doesn't often connect the two. Tomorrow, we'll take a little detour to explore this notion further.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t