Skip to main content

Macro, Man-sized, Micro







For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
                                                                                      (Psalm 139:13-15) 


     Here is a God who can reach into secret, intimate places. He is omnipresent. They hold no secret for Him. He is omniscient. It might not seem a surprise that God can speak a word and have the universe come to be. He is macro-omnipotent. But, God is also micro-omnipotent. He can create on a grand scale, and He can create on the micro-scale. The tiniest of details receive His attention.

       I know a woman who creates pictures. First she takes a picture with her camera. Then she uses her computer to edit the picture, removing every speck of anything she doesn't want. She blows the image up so that what is a tiny speck in the original is a big, blurry blob and she replaces it with tiny bits of the surrounding area, so that when she returns to the regular magnification, it looks like that offending speck was never there. I find myself wondering if God does something like that - effectively shrinking Himself down so that He can see quarks and atoms the size of baseballs or beach balls and moving them around. God is bigger and greater than the universe, but couldn't being omnipotent involve being smaller and greater, too?

      Sometimes, we seem to think that God is too big or too important to take the time and effort to pay attention to us. He created the universe and the first living creatures in 7 days. Why would your creation or mine get any more attention than "Let there be (your name here)." That's all it took for most of the macro-creation. Yet David was inspired by God to describe his own creation as knitting and weaving. Have you ever watched someone knit or weave? It takes a long time. It can be boring. They do the same thing over and over ...and over...and over. Their attention to detail is what turns a bunch of threads into a beautiful blanket or sweater. Thread gets added to thread  and somehow, the result is stunning.

       One last idea about this part of David's song. As far as we know, David wasn't as wise to the ways of DNA when he described his formation as knitting and weaving. It's interesting that scientists refer DNA as being a double strand of molecules that are twisted around each other. What does one use for knitting or weaving? One uses multiple strands of material that are twisted around each other to form a stronger, larger strand.  That makes me smile.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t