Skip to main content

Tiny Blue Dot?


















When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?
 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor. (Psalm 8:3-5)

         Every now and again, I see something on the Internet that repeats a message by Carl Sagan - that we are one of potentially millions of species that live on less than 30% of a boring, nothing of a little rock orbiting a boring little star in an unimpressive "backwater" arm of a galaxy that really doesn't measure up to most of the impressive galaxies in our galactic cluster, which is only one of untold number of clusters that make up the overall universe, which is, after all, only one of an unimaginable number. Considering all of the grandeur around us, we should be humble and consider our own problems and crises are insignificant. Sagan wrote that we are "star stuff" but that "stuff" amounts to star excrement and coffin dust that somehow, through repeated accidents to end up as big-brained animals with delusions of godhood. 
         While this is the materialist's mantra, science is showing us something different. Many of the fundamental constants and number in the universe are finely tuned. [e.g., Speed of Light (c=299,792,458 m s-1), Gravitational Constant (G=6.673 x 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2),  Planck's Constant (1.05457148 x 10-34 m2 kg s-2), Planck Mass-Energy (1.2209 x 1022 MeV), Mass of Electron, Proton, Neutron (0.511; 938.3; 939.6 MeV), Mass of Up, Down, Strange Quark (2.4; 4.8; 104 MeV (Approx.)), Ratio of Electron to Proton Mass ((1836.15)-1), Gravitational Coupling Constant (5.9 x 10-39), Cosmological Constant (2.3 x 10-3 eV), Hubble Constant (71 km/s/Mpc (today)) and Higgs Vacuum Expectation Value (246.2 GeV)]. Most of those probably don't mean any more to you than they do to me, but if any one of them were changed, often by ridiculously small amounts, the universe would not exist. If I remember correctly, the number of these fine-tuned factors is now over 250.
      Let me share a couple that more examples of fine tuning. If we lived in the core of the galaxy, with its high population of stars, the radiation from those stars might prohibit the existence of life. The amount of light and dust found there would prevent observation of the rest of the galaxy. Likewise, the lack of materials essential to life and the amount of dust at the outer edges of the galaxy would render life and exploration impossible.  We happen to be in a comparatively unoccupied area that is safe for the existence of a planet, allows for the existence of life and gives us a clear view of a great deal of the universe.

      Consider that our basic understanding of the sun was made possible because the sun and the moon are within a degree of each other in apparent size and in the same visual plane. As a result, complete solar eclipses are possible and it is during these that the necessary observations could be made. Einstein's theory of relativity was also confirmed during a total eclipse. None of the other planets in our solar system has a moon that permits a total eclipse. Interestingly, the first exo-moon, a moon orbiting a planet in another star system, was only found in 2014, and seems to be orbiting a gas giant. Given the distances involved, this discovery is understandably exciting, but could there be life on planets without moons to stabilize them? If there could, how could they develop a basic understanding of the stars?

     The atmosphere of the earth is both thin and thick enough to support life, and clear. Within the sun's family of planets, 7 have atmospheres, and only the earth's can support complex life & it's clear so that we can see the sun or stars and therefore make scientific discoveries about space.  Seemingly everything that allows scientists like Carl Sagan to find out that we are one of potentially millions of species that live on less than 30% of a boring, nothing of a little rock orbiting a boring little star in an unimpressive "backwater" arm of a galaxy that really doesn't measure up to most of the impressive galaxies in our galactic cluster, which is only one of untold number of clusters that make up the overall universe, which is, after all, only one of an unimaginable number - is precisely because we live on just such a world, which means that all of those other "more impressive" worlds, stars, systems, galaxies, clusters and universes don't measure up to ours. It brings to mind another passage from Scripture:

Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age?
Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the
wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him,
God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.
Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified:
a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,  but to those whom God has called,
both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom,
and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.
Brothers, think of what you were when you were called.
Not many of you were wise by human standards;
not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;
God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.  
He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—
and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are.... (I Corinthians 1:20-28)

     
Read more: transcript-fine-tuning-argument

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Calendar:

Birthday of Edgar Alan Poe

Anniversary of the freeing of the hostages in Iran


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t