Skip to main content

Stand








Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, (Ephesians 6:13-14) 


     I've heard it said that if God says anything once, we should listen, if He says it twice, we should really sit up and pay attention. What should we do when He says it three times? My suggestion? STAND. The full armor of God makes it possible for us to stand our ground, and to keep standing when we've done everything else. For that reason, we need to stand with that full armor in place. The answer may seem obvious, but what is the function of armor? It protects the body so that one isn't killed, of course. Why? So that you can fight. Standing in battle is not having two feet on the ground and your hands at your sides. Standing is holding your own in battle, to maintain control of the plot of land assigned to you, to refuse to back down or give up.
      More often than not, when I have heard people talk about the armor of God, they have focused on the function of the various pieces of armor. That's useful information and I'll share that, but I think it's as important to consider the substance of that armor. The belt being discussed was not a thin thing designed to hold up your pants. When this was written, they wore robes instead of pants, and the belt allowed them to tuck the robes in so that their legs would be free. As much of a fashion statement as the saggy pants are today, they are entirely impractical for fighting. The belt being buckled around the waist also provided some protection to the belly.
      There's something else the belt may do. It may actually help a person stand in battle. The folks that unload the trucks where I  used to work are supposed to wear back braces - wide belts. I never quite understood how they were supposed to protect the back. Recently, I've started taking an yoga-type exercise class, and one of the things our instructor tells us over and over is "Belly in, hips tucked." Getting the body into proper alignment makes it easier to stand and easier to move. It also makes it easier to stand and not be moved. Perhaps the belts provide some of the alignment support that Sandra teaches us.
      So, what is this belt that is allows us to move? What acts as a place to anchor our weapons and tools? Truth. Jesus said that his disciples would know the truth, and the truth would set them free. Freedom seems to be a result of being bound up with truth. Truth also protects our bellies or bowels. In antiquity, the bowels were the seat of the emotions. When our emotions are attacked or injured (our feelings are hurt), isn't it often because of lies and distortions of the truth?  Being firmly belted with truth, with what is really real, holds our emotions in place and protects them from attack.
      This is why we need to study the truth, learn the truth and never, ever back down from the truth. This is why the truth is a target in the war. This is why our ideological enemies appeal to our emotions and attacks our sense of self-worth. The knife to the gut may not kill immediately, but it is (I'm told) an agonizing way to die.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t