Skip to main content

Revive Us Again.

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (II Peter 3:8-9)

            Yesterday, I shared this video on my Face Book page.: David Barton: Revival video. It brought to mind a book I discovered years ago: Generations: The History Of America's Future, 1584-2069 by William Strauss and Neil Howe. It reviews American history with the perspective that approximately every 80 years, America goes through a secular crisis that effectively destroys our country: Revolutionary War (1776), Civil War (1860), Depression and World War II (1929-1945). On September 11, 2001 as I stood in the County Executive's conference room watching the towers fall, I thought, "Here is the beginning of our secular crisis."
           About half way between those secular crisis (and very like as a result of them) is what they call spiritual awakenings: the Puritan Awakening (1621-1640), the Great Awakening (1734-1743), the Transcendental Awakening (1822-1837), the Mission Awakening (1886-1903) and the Boom Awakening (1967-1980).
         Mr. Barton is correct. As we pray for revival in our nation now, especially during an election cycle, it's easy to pray with one eye open, looking for that person who was shaking his fist at God before we started praying to fall to his knees in repentance before we finish, and rise in the next ten minutes as a fully mature Christian. Of course, that's an exaggeration, but it's also true. As Mr. Barton put it, we expect to see changes.
           Mr. Barton believes we are in a revival. If we aren't, it's likely we soon will be. The thing that the last spiritual awakening should teach us is that the revival of faith doesn't have to be Christ-ward. For it to be, we must be Christ-ward in advance of it. We must also remember what today's passage teaches -  that God is at work even when we can't see it. God will keep His promise, even if it doesn't fit into our timeline or expectations. He will revive His people, and the difficulties we are facing today are very likely how He is going to do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...