Skip to main content

The Tragedy of Ego


My son, pay attention to my wisdom, listen well to my words of insight, that you may maintain discretion and your lips may preserve knowledge. For the lips of an adulteress drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil; but in the end she is bitter as gall, sharp as a double-edged sword. Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave. She gives no thought to the way of life; her paths are crooked, but she knows it not. (Proverbs 5:1-6) 

            So much tragedy crossed my computer screen in the past 24 hours. Six police officers dead and five injured in Dallas. They were shot by someone who used a protest of two police killings of civilians as his/their trap. A video of a young man who was treated brutally by a police officer after the young man foolishly and repeatedly disobeyed the officer's commands. A young woman apparently went to a professor for counseling after she found out she had genital warts. She was upset that she might have difficulty conceiving someday (apparently not true) and protested the she was not promiscuous, having only been with six guys in her 19 years. I've heard young adults rage that what they are doing may be wrong, but it's their life to live and no one has a right to say a word.
            The adulterers and adulteresses of this world aren't only those who entice us away from our marital vows. They entice us away from our spiritual vows, our social vows, our personal vows, and their weapons are their mouths, however, it is out of the heart that the mouth speaks. The heart is the will. The will is the ego. The ego is the source of these tragedies. One person decides he will take his anger out on another. Someone else decides no one has a right to tell him/her what to do. A third and fourth can't believe that her behavior is unwise or at least cannot listen even if she recognizes the lack of wisdom. Those of us who aren't there now have been there before and probably will be again. Human arrogance is endemic, and we find it difficult to give up even when we know it's deadly. 
           We do not need anyone to build up our confidence. G. K. Chesterton once wrote of a discussion he had with a publisher.
          The publisher said of somebody, “That man will get on; he believes in himself.”
          And I remember that as I lifted my head to listen, my eye caught an omnibus on which was written “Hanwell.” I said to him, “Shall I tell you where the men are who believe most in themselves? For I can tell you. I know of men who believe in themselves more colossally than Napoleon or Caesar. I know where flames the fixed star of certainty and success. I can guide you to the thrones of the Super-men. The men who really believe in themselves are all in lunatic asylums.”[1]
         We can either celebrate that our society has become Bedlam, or we can turn from the arrogance that makes it so.



[1] Chesterton, G. K. Orthodoxy (http://www.ccel.org/ccel/chesterton/orthodoxy.v.html)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...