Skip to main content

El Roi


She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: “You are the God who sees me,” for she said, “I have now seen the One who sees me.” (Genesis 16:13) 

EL-ROI “The strong one who sees”
         "Daddy-- watch  me, Daddy." 
         "Are you coming to my soccer game?"
         "How do I look?"
         We all want to be seen. Somehow, being seen makes us real. It makes us important. I'm not quite sure how that works. It's a paradox for me, because I also want to be invisible. 
          Hagar started out invisible. She was an Egyptian slave girl taken from her homeland. One day her mistress noticed her, and decided to use her to solve a problem. When it became noticeable that she was pregnant, she saw herself in a different light. She started trying to be seen in that different light by others, which led to her being driven away, out into the desert where she again became invisible. Not only was she invisible, but she was unprotected, she had no provision, no family, no friends, no hope. I've never been in her predicament, but I've felt some of these same things. 
         "Hagar, servant of Sarai..." At a spring in a desert, someone sees her, knows her, calls her by name and reminds her of her role. There would have been trees, almost like a garden. My thoughts flash forward to the Tomb, and a woman weeping because her hopes had been crushed, and someone calling her name..."Mary."
         He tells her to go home and to submit. He tells her that her son will be a wild donkey of a man, a great man, an obstinate man, but as he told Abram later, a man who was not the one promised. My mind flashes forward to a man whose "clothes were made of camel’s hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey." (Matthew 3:4) He preached in the Desert of Judea, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near." One day he also said, "This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’" (John 1:30)
          The Might One saw Hagar. He met her in the desert when no one else cared and sent her back to the care of those who didn't see her. We aren't told whether God spoke to Abram about her. We don't know what Hagar told Sarai when Sarai saw her and asked the obvious question: "What are you doing back here?" We do know that Hagar lived with Abram and Sarai for more than fourteen years after this. Abram and Sarai accepted the name God had told Hagar he would have: Ishmael, "God hears." He heard her. He saw her. He hears us. He sees us, even when we think we are invisible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t