Skip to main content

Yahweh


God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ” (Exodus 3:14) 

          Yahweh. The "I AM WHO I AM" of Exodus 3:14 is said to sound like "Yahweh." This is the name by which God bound Himself to Israel. It means "He who is" or "He who is truly present" or "I will be to you all that I am."   For me, this is a more majestic name than Elohim. I always imagine it said in a deep base, with echoes.
          Those echoes reverberate through the book of John as Jesus said:
          Then Jesus declared, “I who speak to you am he.” (John 4:26)
          Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. (John 6:35)
          At this the Jews began to grumble about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” (John 6:41)
         I am the bread of life. (John 6:48)
          I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” (John 6:51)
         Then Jesus, still teaching in the temple courts, cried out, “Yes, you know me, and you know where I am from. I am not here on my own, but he who sent me is true. You do not know him, (John 7:28)
          When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world.      Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)
          But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world (John 8:23)         
         So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am └ the one I claim to be and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. (John 8:28)
          So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am └ the one I claim to be and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me.         
         While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” (John 9:5)
          Therefore Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. (John10:7-9)
         “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (John 10:11)  
          “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—  (John 10:14)
         Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; (John 11:25)
         “I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am He. (John 13:19)
          Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)
          “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener (John 15:1)
          “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5)
          I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. (John 17:14)
          They  are not of the world, even as I am not of it. (John 17:16)
         Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, “Who is it you want?”  
         "Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. 
         “I am he,” Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.
             Again he asked them, “Who is it you want?”
           And they said, “Jesus of Nazareth.”
           "I told you that I am he,” Jesus answered. “If you are looking for me, then let these men go.” (John 18:4-8)

       All of that makes me want to change the words of this song form "He Is" to "You Are."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t