Skip to main content

Ancient Laws


The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law. I remember, Lord, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them. Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law (Psalm 119:51-53)
“You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the tent of meeting, or you will die. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, so that you can distinguish between the holy and the common, between the unclean and the clean, and so you can teach the Israelites all the decrees the Lord has given them through Moses.” (Leviticus 10:9-11)

         I started out the morning looking for a verse about comfort because right now, I feel the need for someone to build a fort around me. Once again, life is being a little overwhelming. When I found the verses in Psalm 119, my thoughts moved first in one slightly different direction, and then in another completely different direction. I’m being a little tangential this morning.
         The first thought was “how do ancient laws” help me with the repeated crises of Dad’s dementia and physical problems? Where in Leviticus or Deuteronomy does it tell me what to do when Dad’s dementia makes him a danger to himself? Somehow “honor your father…” doesn’t clarify things. What does clarify things a little is the idea that God has more than one kind of law. There is the revealed law, like the Mosaic code set forth in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, but there is also the natural law.
         Right now, it’s the natural law that is providing some comfort. His condition isn’t going to last forever. It will get worse, but it won’t last forever. There are natural limits. The ancient laws of reality do build a fort around one. I’ve known this in other areas. Some people think we need to “change with the times” and there is some truth to it, but not as much as some people believe. God didn’t set up the ancient laws arbitrarily. There are ways that we are designed to function, and ways we are not. Our society wants to throw off all restraints and do whatever they want, but the reality is that what has been the basis of society for hundreds of years has been so because it works for the benefit of most individuals and for society as a whole. The ancient laws do comfort. They provide a fortress that protects us from the raging winds of gratuitous change.
        The second thought from the passage had to do with the indignation that gripped David as the result of the wickedness of others. I think it entirely right that we should be indignant about wickedness, but there is another issue: uncleanness. The ancient laws had a lot to say about both, and it seems obvious that the two are not the same. Touching a dead body made one unclean. Killing someone is wicked. We intuitively understand the difference in that case. But as we look back at the Old Testament Law, sometimes we seem to think that laws about cleanliness have to do with wickedness. It’s something I think I need to think a bit more about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t