Skip to main content

He Has Been Good To Me.


How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorry in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death, and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” and my foes will rejoice when I fall. But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me. (Psalm 12)
          When troubles come into a life and our vision is restricted to those troubles, maybe a quarter inch around them and the things into which we bump in the darkness of our circumstances it’s easy to not notice God, or anyone else. I’ve written before about my impatience with people who can’t seem to walk faster than a half a mile per hour while I’m trying to get ten errands done in the time it takes to drive from here to there and back without stopping anywhere (if that long.) It’s even tougher when God seems to be moving at about a half a mile per year, or that He’s disappeared from the scene of the crime.  
         I wanted the past couple months to never come. I dreaded taking care of my father the way I am. I prayed that he would die quickly before we reached this point. That’s a natural prayer. Few people look forward to being the lowest of the lowly nurses’ aids. One of the questions I think most caregivers find themselves asking (and feeling guilty for asking) is “How long, Lord?” It’s not just how long will you forget me to do this job, but how long will you leave my loved one to suffer? How long must we wrestle with the thought that maybe he’ll die and be free of suffering – and feel guilty that we look forward to it for ourselves as well?
          As I’ve said before, we are our own worst enemies. We long for salvation from deep pain and hate ourselves for the longing. We try to beat ourselves into being noble models of care-giving perfection, into overcoming our supposed weakness because we are not God, and beat ourselves harder when we fall.  
         We need to pray that God will give light to our eyes to see beyond the quarter inch because if we don’t see further, we die a little inside. It is only as we trust in God’s unfailing love for us, and for those we care for, that we can we can begin to rejoice even though the salvation isn’t here, now. I know I will sing the Lord’s praise, and I do sing it when I get my eyes off my immediate circumstances. He has been good to me, and He is good to me, and He will be good to me, not matter how bad and dark my circumstance may seem to me. I may not see Him, but that doesn’t mean He’s not there, and it is on that that I must focus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t