Skip to main content

For God So Loved The World....


          For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God. (John 3:16-21)

          There’s good news! God loved the world enough to send His Son! Eternal life is possible! God didn’t send His Son to condemn the world! We can all sit back with a sigh of relief, everyone can go to heaven! That’s as much as some of us get from this passage. The rest of the news isn’t so good, so we brush it aside. Let’s just focus on the positive.
         Of course, there’s a problem with that sort of thinking. The good news we enjoy so much is only good news because the bad news exists. The reason God sent His Son was to save the world, but that means that the world is broken. His Son didn’t come into the world to condemn the world, because the world was already condemned. The Light came into the world, but people loved darkness. As John mentioned back in chapter one, He came into the world, but the world didn’t know Him or receive Him. To those who did receive Him, He gave eternal life. All that means nothing if everyone receives eternal life.
          Why should I bother to love anyone, if love isn’t necessary in order to go to heaven? Why should you obey any laws? Why did Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Jude, James, Paul and the author of Hebrews – or any of the writers of the Old Testament bother to write any of it down? Some will claim because people wanted control, but every one of them failed to gain control. If what we believe, and what we do doesn’t matter, if heaven is guaranteed to all of us anyway, then what was the purpose of Jesus’ death? Was is just some meaningless gesture?
          If it was just to suggest to us that kindness is better than meanness, why was it necessary? Are we so stupid that we can’t figure that out on our own? Except, we can’t seem to stop being mean. We aren’t enough. We need something more. That’s why Jesus came. He is the something more.
          So what’s the problem? He came. He solved the problem. We all go to heaven. What about the people who rejected, or who do reject Him? Oh, well, they just realize their error and it’s all good. Let me ask you a brutal question. If a man forces himself on a woman who rejects him, is she supposed to realize the error of her ways and it’s all good? What do we call someone who doesn’t give other people any real choices or respect those real choices? How can a loving God send people to hell? Quite simply because the alternative is repugnant – spiritual rape… spiritual slavery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t