Skip to main content

Guilty of the Greater Sin

          Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged. The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head. They clothed him in a purple robe  and went up to him again and again, saying, “Hail, king of the Jews!” And they slapped him in the face.
         Once more Pilate came out and said to the Jews gathered there, “Look, I am bringing him out to you to let you know that I find no basis for a charge against him.” When Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe, Pilate said to them, “Here is the man!”
         As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw him, they shouted, “Crucify! Crucify!”
         But Pilate answered, “You take him and crucify him. As for me, I find no basis for a charge against him.”
         The Jewish leaders insisted, “We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God.”
         When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid, and he went back inside the palace. “Where do you come from?” he asked Jesus, but Jesus gave him no answer.  “Do you refuse to speak to me?” Pilate said. “Don’t you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?”
          Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.”
         From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jewish leaders kept shouting, “If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar.”
         When Pilate heard this, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judge’s seat at a place known as the Stone Pavement (which in Aramaic is Gabbatha).  It was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about noon. “Here is your king,” Pilate said to the Jews.
          But they shouted, “Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!”
         “Shall I crucify your king?” Pilate asked.
         “We have no king but Caesar,” the chief priests answered.
         Finally Pilate handed him over to them to be crucified. (John 19:1-16)

          We love to boo and hiss at Pilate, and I’m pretty sure he’s not the sort of person I would have want to have as a friend, but as I read this passage, and especially as I read it along with the parallel accounts in the other gospels, I find myself considering. Here is a man who works for the Roman emperor, whose livelihood and life depend on pleasing someone who isn’t there and doesn’t understand what is happening. He is also a man facing a group of angry citizens, who are insisting that he solve their problem, n.o.w.
         After he interviews Jesus, he tells them he finds no reason to kill Him. They insist that if he doesn’t kill Jesus, he is no friend of Caesar. In other words, if Pilate didn’t do what they wanted, word would reach Caesar that he was incapable of keeping the rabble in line (after all, they were tattling to Caesar, so they couldn’t be being kept in line) and that Pilate had not eliminated a threat (no matter how infinitesimal) to Caesar.
       Does the threat sound familiar? I’ve read it on Face Book with the last 24 hours. In fact, I’ve been reading it on Face Book for the last nine years, but it’s become a more strident threat of late.
          The Jews thought they were doing the right thing. They were doing what they were told to do – to protect the Jewish nation from counterfeit prophets and messiahs while waiting for the real thing to show up. The kids today think they’re doing the right thing, protecting America from – well, everything.
          The thing that I notice in this passage is Jesus’ reaction to Pilate’s no-win situation. Specifically, He tells Pilate that those who turned Jesus over to Pilate are guilty of the greater sin. The government official who gives in to the sinful demands of the masses, or their leaders, is guilty, but Jesus recognizes Pilate’s position, caught between a rock and a hard place. The Jews were willing to side with anyone who was willing to do their bidding, even their worst enemy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t