Skip to main content

Tearing Down The House


The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. (Proverbs 14:1)
                In the ancient Jewish culture, the man was the public or business face of the household, but the woman was really the master of the home. She was expected to manage the estate, no matter what its size. The success of the home was her responsibility. I don’t think the proverb is any less true today. Neither do I think it any less true if it is expanded to include both men and women, and both houses and societies. Put simply, a wise person builds, and a foolish person destroys, the things they claim to hold dear.
                I suppose it’s been going on forever, but for the last sixty years at least, there has been a concerted effort to fundamentally transform. That requires that everything, down to the smallest social unit, be other than what it was. That requires that what was be torn down, torn apart… and the goal was to replace it with political units. In such a society, families are no longer necessary.  It is a meaningless label attached to anything anyone wants it to be, because their real relationship is with government. Friendships are those individuals who cheer us on as we ricochet off obstacles in life like a ball in a pin ball machine. They are anyone who at least pretends to agree with everything we do.
                Research shows that the best, healthiest, most stable, and most prosperous social unit is an involved, invested male/female marriage with offspring. Individual examples may not perform to the standard, but it is functionally the most logical model on which to base a society.  Certainly, there are also cases of individuals who don’t fit that model. My family is a case in point, as I’m a never-married living with my father. The existence of other models does not invalidate the effectiveness of the nuclear family any more than a broom invalidates the effectiveness of a vacuum. So for anyone to suggest that the nuclear family is not necessary, or that a family is whatever you want it to be, or that other models should be treated as equal with the nuclear family is just plain foolish.
                Granted, there are people who don’t fit the traditional model. I’m not saying to treat them as less than people. But I am saying that if we tear down the traditional model or pretend that other models are its equal, we are fools and we will end up sitting among the ruins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t