Skip to main content

Martha

          On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. Now Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem, and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.
                “Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died.  But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.”
               Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”
                Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”
                Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
               “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.” (John 11:17-27)

          When Jesus arrived at Bethany, the first person who goes out to
Him was Martha. This makes sense. It would have been proper. She was now the head of the household. She is also the same woman who got scolded by Jesus because she was more caught up in focusing on His visit than on His Words. Tre to her nature, she’s doing her duty.

         I’ve been there and done that. The morning after my mother died, I was up and out of the house before Dad woke up. My sister’s family was coming: eight people including a toddler. We needed food. We would need tissues. We would need…. When I got home, Dad scolded me because I wasn’t there when he got up and he hadn’t known where I went. At the memorial service, I remember handing out the packs of tissues. I don’t remember whether I cried or not. I just remember thinking I had to be strong, to step up and take care of … everything. I was probably as big a mess as anyone else, but that’s the way I remember it. And after the funeral, I had to get right back into my life because otherwise I’d never get back into my life, or so I thought.
         In today’s passage, I also see the struggle for faith. She’s sad because her brother is dead, and I think she’s angry, and I think she shares that anger. “If you had been here, my brother wouldn’t have died.” It’s Your fault Jesus. “But I know that even now, God will give You whatever You ask.” Is there hope in there? Or is it still anger? God would do what He asked, so what was He going to ask for? What was He going to do about the situation? Not meaning to be rude, Jesus, but the stage is Yours, stop dawdling and do Your thing. She knew God would do what He asked. She knew what He could ask, what she wanted Him to ask, but would He?
         He doesn’t ask. He doesn’t give orders. He tells her Lazarus will rise again. Do you hear the exasperation, or the incredulity, or the agonized patience in her response? “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.” Yes, Jesus, we all know in the end we stand before God and are judged, and some are get Heaven, and some get Hell. We learned that in synagogue as kids. I’m talking about now.
         I can relate to her here, too. I know God can solve my problems, meet my needs. Of course, He can. He’s God. But will He? He says He will, but instead of issuing orders, I wait. Of course, all those problems will be solved when I’m dead and standing before Him. None of them will matter in the least, but what about now?
          And Jesus’ answer kills all the lights on that stage she put Him on except the ones on Him. He doesn’t have the answer, He is the answer. That’s what I need to keep remembering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t