Skip to main content

Lazarus

          Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance.  “Take away the stone,” he said.
         “But, Lord,” said Martha, the sister of the dead man, “by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.”
               Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?”
               So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”
               When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.
        Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.” (John 11:38-44)

                Have you heard the claim that Victorians strung a line from a coffin to a bell above ground, in case the deceased woke from a coma and needed to be extricated? That assumed that they didn’t die of a heart attack or stroke at waking in a coffin after some days of starvation before they thought to find and pull on the string. I don’t know if that’s true, but it’s an example of some of the strange ideas people get about death and burial. The Jews of Jesus’ day had one, too. For the first three days after someone dies, their souls supposedly stick around. That means that for the first three days, you were “mostly dead.” Lazarus was on day four. He was as dead, dead, deader than dead, and as dead could be. The swoon theory would have been a laughing matter for the Jews at this point.
         They were not as stupid as some moderns think. Practical Martha knew the reality. By day four, Lazarus would have started decomposing and that smell would have marinated among those of the spices with which the body was prepared for burial. Pungent. Ripe. Nauseating. I’ve generally assumed that Martha mentioned the bad odor because she didn’t believe Lazarus was going to rise from the dead. This morning, I’m not so such. I suspect the believed there would be a bad odor in spite of Lazarus’ resurrection. He’d been in that closed in space for four days, dead and covered with spices. Coming back to life wouldn’t change the air in the cave.
         Did some of the people leave? I know, they wanted to see what was going to happen, but … that smell. Maybe they’d go back to the house, have a glass of wine and wait for Lazarus to get cleaned up. I don’t know. But I think Martha prepared them for the obvious, and, at Jesus’ direction, they moved the stone. I think of another stone that would be moved from another tomb before very long. This tomb was opened to let Lazarus out. The other was opened to let people in to see that it was empty.
          As I took my walk this morning, an obvious parallel tromped into my mind. We are less than three weeks from a semi-annual death and resurrection of sorts. Later this month, Dad and I will “die” to Zephyrhills and “resurrect” to Erie. I already feel the tug of both death (as I try to use stuff up, figure stuff out, list the phone calls I have to make and start making them) and the resurrection (some of which involves those same activities.) Yesterday, I realized that it’s time to start making plans. What do I hope to accomplish during the summer in Erie? I’m not sure but if I’m going to accomplish anything, I’d better start thinking about it.
          These six-month death/resurrection cycles are a little tough. They can result in stinky attitudes. And right now is the worst – it’s the time of sickness, in which there’s not much I can do yet, but so much that needs to be done. Right now, the “tomb” looks a little small to fit all the stuff that needs to go north. I’m feeling like Martha – wanting to do the practical, but what can I do except note that “there is a bad odor.” I’m feeling like Lazarus. I can’t say that either of my homes is heaven, but they both hold big pieces of my heart at this point. I don’t want to leave here, but I want desperately to return there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t