Skip to main content

Telling It Like It Is


          “I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill this passage of Scripture: ‘He who shared my bread has turned against me.’  I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am who I am.  Very truly I tell you, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me.” After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, “Very truly I tell you, one of you is going to betray me….”
               Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”          Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times! (John 13:18-21 & 36-37)

         In other passages detailing this evening, we’re told that the disciples started arguing among themselves as to which of them was the greatest. I believe these statements provoked that dispute. Imagine sitting at a table with a bunch of your closest friends, listening to the man you believe is the Messiah, and He says, “one of you is going to betray me.” What’s your automatic response?
          I suspect I would look around the room, to try to figure who could do such a thing. I suspect you would be looking around the room with the same goal. Our eyes meet, each with the same question, “Is it you?”
         And your immediate reaction would be just like mine, “No, not me. Can’t be me, after all, I’m one of the twelve. I’m one of the special ones. I would never betray Him…” I even wonder, given my own tendency to think the worst of myself, whether I would be more vigorous in my denials because I fear my own weakness. Would I? Could I? “No, I’m one of His greatest disciples.” Of course, you would know me. We’ve been friends for at least three years. You know what I wreck I am.
          Then Jesus tells them He’s leaving. Again, the natural response, either He can’t go, or I have to go with Him. No matter what. Even if it means dying. And Jesus tells us the truth. It might not be before the cock crows, but we will all deny Him, fail Him, fall short of His standards over and over.
         How freeing! I’m not saying any of us should ever want to either betray or deny Him. But notice what Jesus did not do. He did not sick the other disciples on either man. He didn’t reject either man.
          This passage disturbs me, because I am sure that I would have failed Jesus somehow, just like Judas and Peter. I am sure that I will still do so. Some people think we should keep quiet when others are promoting behaviors we believe are wrong. How dare we judge? To me, those people are telling me to deny or to betray Jesus by rejecting His teaching on the subject. They are also telling me to not love the person I’m telling because it’s more important that the other person is comfortable and happy than that they know that they are betraying or denying Jesus, and that such has a cost that is more than they should be asked to bear. But Jesus didn’t hesitate to tell the disciples about the worst that they would do. It didn’t stop Him from loving them either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t